Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STOP making sketches move when you edit it

STOP making sketches move when you edit it

One of the most annoying parts of the engineering aspect of Fusion is that when I change dimensions of a sketch in Fusion the sketch moves.

Here is an example: So I change the radius of the fillet and instead of the top getting

smaller or bigger (change of radius) also the triangle changes it's size. 

Screen Shot 2014-04-18 at 1.17.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-04-18 at 1.17.35 PM.png

The point of constraint sketches is that I can place them where needed and extrude

my solids out of them and when adjusting the sketch the solid will be adjusted.

As a designer I do not want to reposition my solid after editing the sketch!

10 Comments
garin
Alumni

I have seen this same thing when editing some sketches. Its always a bit tricky for the system to know how you want to update a sketch when there is a lot of "open degrees of freedom" on the sketch but we should be able to do a better job at minimal changes on cases like this. It would be great to see other examples where you and other see sketch edits like this that aren't desirable. 

cekuhnen
Mentor

Technically speaking to prevent this I have to constraint the lines.

It would be great if Fusion can stablize the curves because that's pretty much how it works in all other CAD systems I work with.

It just removes the work overhead.

keqingsong
Community Manager

Good idea here; anyone else experiencing this / support this idea? We would love to hear more example workflow where this idea would greatly benefit you. 

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: 実装済み

cekuhnen
Mentor

Just think about it from a logical stand point.

Why does the sketch change only because I fillet a corner.

No other application works that way - it does not make sense.

There is no reason for the base line to shrink.

Does it really make sense to lock the top line via a constraint so

the prevent the form to shrink when I round the lower corner?

Engineering apps and surface apps work somewhat different

and evolved with unique workflows.

But I hardly hear designers rave about engineering CAD apps and how they work.

So instead of following the old school idea of having to constraint an edge

before I round something, simply remove that required step and dont move

the sketches.

While from one standpoint the parametric ability of solid modelers is useful

the labor it requires to preplan rethink a design because you have to interprete

how the software will work is high.

mrack42
Advocate

Not sure I fully understand the complaint, but so far, I don't agree w/ it at all.  Are you not designing off the origin?  You are looking to mostly NOT constrain your sketches?  If that's true, I think this may be more a matter of the right tool for the job.  Is this about the scaling of the sketch based on the first constraint entered?  Personally, I find that very very useful.  So, if I'm understanding this right, when you change the radius, you want the angle lines to toe in, and the base to remain as-is?  Something has to change... constraints are the tools you use to describe what's important and what's not.

What other CAD software do you use?  What kind of work are you doing?

cekuhnen
Mentor

I have experience with a wide range of packages I used sofar in my carrer ranging from Rhino to Alias Ashlar Cobalt and SolidThinking. I work from concept development till manufacturing data generation for consumer and furniture products.

Besides Rhino all other offer parametric modeling and when you add a fillet well you trim the input lines and calculate a blend curve into the empty space. When you move the input lines the fillet moves with it. If you

adjust the radius of the fillet only the fillet will change and nothing else.

In Fusion to be able towork the same way I have to fix all lines and that makes no sense. Why does Fusion

not only scale but also move sketchlines where I change a fillet radius. Forcing me to add a fix command

is added extra work.

Further more this only works in the sketch engine. In the solid engine it all behaves as logic would predict.

Here is a video illustrating the problem:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byzv_NlyKp_2R1BlU3lJd195V3c/edit?usp=sharing

The point is who do you want to use this software? Just engineers or do you also want to attract product designers.

Constraints are a cool thing for certain ideas. Alias or so does not have the ability to show those constraints but they

also sketch in 3D space and are not limited to 2D so 3D constraints will be much harder to do.

But the surface and curve features are also adjustable.

A typical workflow is you generate hard edges and then later add features like roundings and not let the feature impact your carefully created surfaces.

AJameson56
Contributor

I initially disagreed because I'm very pro- contraining sketches. But it's true, sometimes you don't have it fully constrained and you just want it to respond how you expect with simple modifications.  Obviously since the sketcher is solving an unconstrained problem it's following some sort of hierarchy of what to change first.  Perhaps that's where the improvements could be made.

The rule to help with this situation would be: First try to find a solution without changing the angles or positions of any straight lines.  But I take that back, if you have a rounded rectangle with no constraints and you increase an edge length, you would want the fillets to stay the same but move the orthogonal edge out.  I'm sure there's a good set of rules that could be applied, but this just shows it's not immediately obvious... requires consideration of what operation is being done and what the context is.

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Claas,

Thank you for your idea.  What you are experiencing is as designed, please try constraining the elements of the sketch that you do not want to move before changing parameters.

Regards,

Mike Prom

cekuhnen
Mentor

@promm Basically everybody I know who comes from the design aspect thinks the same way as I do.

Constraints are great, but having to constain ALWASY everything to prevent any issue simply adds a lot

of extra work and slows you down.

This is also number one frustration among designers I talked to because no other design apps

uses constraints this way thus they are not acustomed to it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report