Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Curve / Sketch onto Surface

Project Curve / Sketch onto Surface

It would be great if Fusion could project a curve /  sketch onto a surface.

22 Comments
Oceanconcepts
Advisor

Yes, I used this a lot in other applications. Also, somewhat related, the ability to extract curves from the intersection of two objects.  This would be great to have as a part of 3D sketching. 

colin.smith
Alumni

Hi cekuhnen, are you talking about conforming a curve/sketch to a surface or having a projection that results in a curve on surface similar to what Alias does?

Colin

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: 実装済み

cekuhnen
Mentor

Hello Colin

idealy you should be able to project curves as well as draping a surface over geometry.

projection.png

I fully also agree with Oceanconcepts to extract curves based on various elements like isopram or surface intersection etc ...

Claas

tdtwohy
Advocate

Project onto curves?

F360 doesent DO that??

Well yes... Definately have THAT! Oh man.

stanh1
Contributor

Projecting a 2D sketch onto a surface resulting in a 3D sketch and creating 3D sketches from intersections of solids or surfaces are work flows I rely on heavily in other CAD. This enters into the question of 3D sketches, 3D splines and by extension to absolute cartesian coordinates. All of these capabilities are useful.

garritjacobson
Enthusiast

I believe that Maya has similar NURBS functionality. You draw a 2D spline in 3D space and then project that 2D spine onto a NURBS surface. I assume we would want to create the curve on a sketch plane offset from the body, and then project that sketch onto the body. I would like to have functionality that for both T-spline and solid geometry.

cekuhnen
Mentor

I think pretty much every surface modeler I used (Rhino Maya Alias SolidThinking) has also the ability to draw a curve onto the surface. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great idea. Thanks.

colin.smith
Alumni

Hello all, I'm seeing two requests here.  One is the ability to snap a T-Spline surface down to another surface.  You can do this today using the object snap option that appears in several of the scuplt tools (face, subdivide, edit form, insert edge).  There is also a Pull command that will snap a T-Spline surface down to a target surface.  Target surfaces can be Solid or Mesh bodies.

Here is quick movie showing Pull.  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5jLcngcFwria19SNWJGTVpTYmM/edit?usp=sharing

The second request is the ability to project a curve on to a surface, that is not available yet.  It has been discussed but I don't know at this time when it would appear in the software.  If this is important to you be sure to give it Kudos.

Did I miss anything?

Colin

cekuhnen
Mentor

To project a profile onto a surface is a pretty important tool. I am surprised it is not given a lot of importance. You cannot to this only through simple solid modeling.

Sometimes you project a curve onto a surface so you can extrude something along that curve and not only trim the surface with the projected curve.

bverboort
Advocate

Project to surface much like Inventor does (with the multiple project methods/solutions)

Maybe combine with emboss function(from/to & landing)?

Oceanconcepts
Advisor

I agree about the importance of projecting a curve onto a surface/ solid. In a related issue, while Fusion does have draft analysis tools, there doesn't appear to be a way to create a parting line curve on the surface of an object by using them. I was hopeful that when 3D sketching was enabled this would be a possibility- but maybe there is a workflow I am missing? 

cekuhnen
Mentor

Ocean

you are very right, specifically for parting lines this will be extremely helpful.

However it looks like that instead of projecting onto the body, Alias for example needs a curve projected onto a surface to be able to split or trim.

In Fusion you can use profiles or extrude them into 3d forms to use the split command to well split surfaces/volumes.

I just like to see the curve projected onto the body and also draw right onto the object as well.

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

Closing this as we have project to surface. Looking to see if the community needs improvements or wants additional capability to draw directly on surfaces. We should track these as new separate ideas.

asraf.kafaouin
Explorer

Hi guys, I don't know if this is any relevant, but what I want to do is to map sketches (a patern for instance) on an object and then pipe it or cut it out or any thing of this sort.

thanks 🙂

cekuhnen
Mentor

asraf I am not sure if you for his even need a bend or fold tool stuff fusion cannot do at the moment.

asraf.kafaouin
Explorer

Thanks for the prompt reply 

cekuhnen
Mentor

yeah we might have to wait 1.5 years to get it 😉

Does actually ProE/UG or SW have those tools? I dont know because I do not use them or have access to them.

However the bottle could be build by the way with a dense ts model / mesh that is snapped onto a BREP master surface.

asraf.kafaouin
Explorer

"Does actually ProE/UG or SW have those tools? I dont know because I do not use them or have access to them."

I have no idea.

"However the bottle could be build by the way with a dense ts model / mesh that is snapped onto a BREP master surface."

As per this, I can't say that it sounds Greek to me since I am Greek. But what's with the abbreviations? explain if you please, and I will be grateful if you link me to a tutorial or something...

Thank you TONZ 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report