Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Place/import Text and/or paths as sketch

Place/import Text and/or paths as sketch

Hi,

i'm rather new to Fusion 360 so please bear with me if this was already suggested or at last is a working feature already and i just didn't find it 🙂

It would be great if one could place text as a sketch or probably a solid object (the latter won't be so important as you could always extrude from the sketch). Also the possibility to import paths from let's say Illustrator or other vector based tools would be good as a sketch so you could import technical drawings or similar as a base for extrusions.

Thanks!

Frank

25 Comments
Oceanconcepts
Advisor

I know this came up in the old forum and is fairly obvious,  but thought it should be included here.  The ability to directly enter and convert text to sketch elements, to use in adding 3D features. 

Oceanconcepts
Advisor
Helmi74
Collaborator

hm yeah though the import stuff for paths is nearly as important as it could probable just replace the text stuff - at least in first step.

Oceanconcepts
Advisor

This feature request is also related, and more general- text would most likely be imported as paths. Might want to vote that up.  

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Request-a-Feature-Fusion-360/Emboss-Soft-Select-amp-Painted-Displaceme...

Ron

colin.smith
Alumni

Hi Frank, 

Thanks for the suggestion.  Text is on our feature list for a future release.  As Ron pointed out we have had a few requests already on the subject.

Cheers,

Colin

tdtwohy
Advocate

I'd settle for .AI or even EPS 🙂

Please! 

colin.smith
Alumni

That's a good point @tdtwohy, I believe this is on our list somewhere but I'll make sure.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Colin

tdtwohy
Advocate

My god... I can't even place a .dxf file.

AAAGH!! **angry face**

schneik-adsk
Community Manager

So what is more important you...

Full rich text editing?

Linear text?

Multi line text?

Text along arcs and splines?

Anchors to constrain text in a sketch?

Mirrored text?

Text on planes?

Text on surfaces?

Convert text to outlines?

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: 実装済み

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: 実装予定
We are tracking another idea for Text. Current idea and discussions here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Request-a-Feature-Fusion-360/Place-import-Text-and-or-paths-as-sketch/...
Helmi74
Collaborator

I guess the plain possibility to place single line text could be sweet first step that should find it's way into the programm asap. Later possibility to place text on surfaces or along paths would surely be great but personally i don't find that too important. 

I think it could be more important to worry about path importing a bit more instead. Importing paths on sketch planes should be a really important feature from what i could read accross forums lately.

tdtwohy
Advocate

Well, I need to simply bring in established (client aproved) flat line work, be in a logo... A font comprised of altered letters... Hotel logos, Airline badges... even illustrations and decorative patterns. 

Importing PDF format would be a THRILL to try (even better if you got it to work)... though some amount of preview and editing (slashing out color, layers etc.) would be needed and might add more programming costs.

I've been doing complex tricks in vector based illustration for years, being able to use these as design elements would add to the usability of f360 without much real cost.

Text in blocks, typed in... kerning? As a graphic artist, I can generate that easily... just have to rent Adobe products (forever 😞 )... but defining a workable way to import existing graphics  (somewhat effortlessly) could be a REAL blessing for designers moving to the ACTUAL product design realm as opposed to the "Flat-iverse" they came from. 

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: Duplicate

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: 実装予定

schneik-adsk
Community Manager

It's looking like text is going to take longer than expected. As an alternative we are proposing to add import of SVG into a sketch.

This would allow you to create text outlines and/or logos and bring them in.  What do you think? Will this help in the near term?

Helmi74
Collaborator

That would indeed help. I always said how important importing paths would be. The dxf import right now doesn't work well for 2d drawings and this would definitely help.

Also this way you could import text-paths as well.

lure23
Collaborator

SVG is very nice (with a good editor) and will take away from you the worry about supporting both Windows and Mac OS X fonts. Which I think you shouldn't even try to - stick to SVG fonts? >:)

Helmi74
Collaborator

The time of "Mac" and "Windows" fonts is gone for years now - no worries. Mac OSX is fine with TTF, OTF and everything that's common sense in fonts 😉

roberto
Enthusiast

Hi!
I've played around with Autodesk Inventro Fusion (love many of the UI ideas, managed creating a design I had done in some other program without even looking at any tutorial).

However I quickly noticed there was no way to import 2D data for a logo to put in, major let down..

If you should prioritise features then I think this would be the smartest:

1) Import from Illustrator (either via PDF, EPS, SVG etc, just one good way that works).

Plus have some way to simplify the vector graphics if there might be a performance problem (some logos I do by drawing that are scanned and then vectorized in Illustrator).

Any designer will most likely create logos in Illustrator, or receive logos and 2D designs from clients who have Illustrator.

If you have limitations, such that things have to be converted to outlines first, just give us a clear tutorial on how to do the complete workflow.

1b) be sure that the imported data can be easily and correctly extruded (so that there are no problems with letters like 'O' and 'B' for the inside parts.

2) Be able to enter text directly in the software that can easily be extruded.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report