Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patch > Stitch (feature req / UI simplification): Cannot stitch an element to me

Patch > Stitch (feature req / UI simplification): Cannot stitch an element to me

Cannot stitch an element to meet its mirror

I’ve got a cabin with the right part mirroring the left. Unfortunately, there are some gaps in between the two so I thought to connect the benches with the ’Patch > Stitch’ tool.

This should be used for such things, right? 

Only, it does not allow stitching an element with its mirror image.

The problem is, as a user glancing the design, I wouldn’t know if the implementation of the form uses mirroring or not. The limitation feels arbitrary - it’s the mechanics within the program standing in my way. 

The tool could figure out that the surfaces are mirrors, and extend them towards each other (i.e. extend one of them, having the other one retain the mirroring) until they meet. Why not? 

a.jpg 

Picture after I've tried to select the two halves of the bench to stitch them together.

I’m not looking for a way around this, using some other tool or mindset (there are already too many such limitations in Fusion - things should Just Work). 

Fusion 360 1.8.679, OS X 10.9

5 Comments
schneik-adsk
Community Manager

If you open the tolerance to be bigger than the gap between surfaces it should work?

lure23
Collaborator

Doesn't seem to. Measuring the gap gives 418 mm (which means the scale of the model is completely wrong). Using that or 500mm tolerance still behaves the same (= OK is dimmed and I get the error).

schneik-adsk
Community Manager

OK. It was a stretch anyway.  This is a bit harder to do than it might see. In you case there are multiple solutions.

1. a new surface that blends from one open edge to the other

2. extend the open edges so they meet in the middle using a natural extension

3. extend the open edges so they meet using a tangent extension

4. move the edges so they meet

To create a general Stitch command as you describe we might have to do one or all of the different approaches on different surface. I can understand the desirability of a command that could do this I'm just skeptical that it would work in very many cases.  We will talk about it internally and see if we can come up with some ideas.

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

lure23
Collaborator

Thanks for considering, Kevin

I was merely reporting this as a thing to consider, as the subject says ("feature req/UI simplification").

I'm personally more concerned of the easyness and intuitiveness of the Fusion 360 UI in the longer span (2-5 years from now). UI's that Simply Do What We Expect Them To Do are rare. But fun when met in the wild (Nokia 6000 series used to have one, 15 years ago).

Listing the quick fixes may be useful for someone, though.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report