6 Kudos
LeonMF

OpenSCAD Import/export

by Active Contributor LeonMF on ‎08-12-2013 10:39 AM

Much of the open source hardware community is developing designs in OpenSCAD.  Importing STL (when that is finally implemented) and building a model on top of that would be doable but it would make models much more reusable if Fusion 360 had a module for importing/exporting OpenSCAD files directly.

This is an interesting request. Leon I'm going to start a thread about mesh modeling. The issue you are having with stl in and openSCAD all stem from the root problem that these are mesh models and Fusion is a multi/representation but heavily favored sub-d/nubs modeler.
Comments
by Board Manager schneik on ‎08-12-2013 01:49 PM
Status changed to: Future Consideration
This is an interesting request. Leon I'm going to start a thread about mesh modeling. The issue you are having with stl in and openSCAD all stem from the root problem that these are mesh models and Fusion is a multi/representation but heavily favored sub-d/nubs modeler.
by Board Manager schneik on ‎08-12-2013 03:54 PM
by Mentor on ‎08-14-2013 12:00 AM

@schneik maybe i'm wrong but OpenSCAD isn't a mesh modeller, is it? it is generating mesh models when you export to stl or other formats of course, but openSCAD itself is as descriptive as it could be and is mostly based on basic shapes and objects and diverse boolean operations. Wouldn't that be a good foundation for an exact-as-possible import into fusion360?

by Distinguished Contributor bmdesign on ‎08-14-2013 10:57 AM

Frank, thanks for bringing OpenSCAD to my knowledge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSCAD

Being described as a "3d compiler" certainly makes it seem very descriptive. And very tempting to have a go (command line CAD - wow!).

by hpux735 on ‎11-11-2013 03:31 PM

I almost hate to revive a old thread, but I'm pulling my hair out with OpenSCAD.  It would be amazing to import these models into Fusion.  I have to be very clear here, OpenSCAD is NOT a mesh modeller.  The syntax appears to be similar to the PovRay modelling language (how different can they be, really).  It should be fairly straight-forward to turn the OpenSCAD commands into commands for the fusion importer to turn into geometry.  The P.I.T.A. about OpenSCAD is that it has very limited export options.  STL is really the only one that can take 3D gemometry and get it into Fusion, and we know how much fun that is.

B.T.W: Here is an example of an OpenSCAD file:

module x_carriage_base() {

// Small bearing holder

translate([-33/2,0,0]) rotate([0,0,90]) horizontal_bearing_base(2);

// Long bearing holder

translate([-33/2,x_rod_distance,0]) rotate([0,0,90]) horizontal_bearing_base(1);

// Base plate

translate([-33,-11.5,0]) cube([33,68,8]);

// Belt holder base

translate([-33,20,0]) cube([33,12,17]);

// tabs for top screws

for(i=[12, -12]) translate([-16.5+i,24-36,0]) cylinder(r=3.5, h=8, $fn=30);

}

by Distinguished Contributor bmdesign on ‎11-19-2013 12:15 PM

It would indeed be amazing to have the OpenSCAD parser within Fusion. I'm thinking of programmatically generated content.

We have a track simulator. It could spit out the 3D track for i.e. strength analysis if I know of a common format to import model data into Fusion360. OpenSCAD seems like a good candidate for such.

However, please note that OpenSCAD is *not* a format. It's an API. I.e. in your sample there's a for loop.

by hpux735 on ‎11-22-2013 03:25 PM

Good point :smileyhappy:

by kintel on ‎03-06-2014 10:03 PM

Actually, OpenSCAD is a functional description language, with a pretty minimal API. In terms of export/import, it's possible to export an OpenSCAD design to a .csg file. Such a file contains only basic primitives and have evaluated all user-defined modules, functions, for loops etc.

Such a .csg file could be imported into other software, with the loss of the parametric capabilities, similar to export/import between any other CAD tools. This is how e.g. FreeCAD imports OpenSCAD files.

Search this board