Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenSCAD Import/export

OpenSCAD Import/export

Much of the open source hardware community is developing designs in OpenSCAD.  Importing STL (when that is finally implemented) and building a model on top of that would be doable but it would make models much more reusable if Fusion 360 had a module for importing/exporting OpenSCAD files directly.

47 Comments
schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration
This is an interesting request. Leon I'm going to start a thread about mesh modeling. The issue you are having with stl in and openSCAD all stem from the root problem that these are mesh models and Fusion is a multi/representation but heavily favored sub-d/nubs modeler.
schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Helmi74
Collaborator

@schneik maybe i'm wrong but OpenSCAD isn't a mesh modeller, is it? it is generating mesh models when you export to stl or other formats of course, but openSCAD itself is as descriptive as it could be and is mostly based on basic shapes and objects and diverse boolean operations. Wouldn't that be a good foundation for an exact-as-possible import into fusion360?

lure23
Collaborator

Frank, thanks for bringing OpenSCAD to my knowledge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSCAD

Being described as a "3d compiler" certainly makes it seem very descriptive. And very tempting to have a go (command line CAD - wow!).

hpux735
Explorer

I almost hate to revive a old thread, but I'm pulling my hair out with OpenSCAD.  It would be amazing to import these models into Fusion.  I have to be very clear here, OpenSCAD is NOT a mesh modeller.  The syntax appears to be similar to the PovRay modelling language (how different can they be, really).  It should be fairly straight-forward to turn the OpenSCAD commands into commands for the fusion importer to turn into geometry.  The P.I.T.A. about OpenSCAD is that it has very limited export options.  STL is really the only one that can take 3D gemometry and get it into Fusion, and we know how much fun that is.

B.T.W: Here is an example of an OpenSCAD file:

module x_carriage_base() {

// Small bearing holder

translate([-33/2,0,0]) rotate([0,0,90]) horizontal_bearing_base(2);

// Long bearing holder

translate([-33/2,x_rod_distance,0]) rotate([0,0,90]) horizontal_bearing_base(1);

// Base plate

translate([-33,-11.5,0]) cube([33,68,8]);

// Belt holder base

translate([-33,20,0]) cube([33,12,17]);

// tabs for top screws

for(i=[12, -12]) translate([-16.5+i,24-36,0]) cylinder(r=3.5, h=8, $fn=30);

}

lure23
Collaborator

It would indeed be amazing to have the OpenSCAD parser within Fusion. I'm thinking of programmatically generated content.

We have a track simulator. It could spit out the 3D track for i.e. strength analysis if I know of a common format to import model data into Fusion360. OpenSCAD seems like a good candidate for such.

However, please note that OpenSCAD is *not* a format. It's an API. I.e. in your sample there's a for loop.

hpux735
Explorer

Good point 🙂

kintel
Community Visitor

Actually, OpenSCAD is a functional description language, with a pretty minimal API. In terms of export/import, it's possible to export an OpenSCAD design to a .csg file. Such a file contains only basic primitives and have evaluated all user-defined modules, functions, for loops etc.

Such a .csg file could be imported into other software, with the loss of the parametric capabilities, similar to export/import between any other CAD tools. This is how e.g. FreeCAD imports OpenSCAD files.

pfleming
Advocate

An old thread, but was there any progress made in the area of being able to import and read these files?

puzina
Observer

I would also be very interested in being able to edit my OpenSCAD designs with the Fusion. So far I mainly used OpenSCAD for 3d-printing jobs and it is pretty powerful, but there is still a lot to be desired. I am just starting to learn Fusion but I see a huge potential there, and the possibility to open my old .scad designs with the Fusion would make a transfer a lot smoother for me. By the way, in the last  (2015-03) version of openscad there are multiple options for the file export except STL, like OFF and AMF, none of which however seems to be compatible with Fusion. Are there any plans for adding this option? 

wakrein
Explorer

So im wondering if by now there is an option to import and open scad files? 

lisca
Explorer

Let’s revive this question, I’ve Just installed Fusion 360 and I just beginning to try and learn it, but it looks promising, I’ve been using OpenScad for some months  for 3D printing and it conquered me specially for the parametric part where you can play around with the designs.

It would be perfect if it could be imported into Fusion.

spacemanfrank
Explorer

This would be a wonderful feature for the open hardware community and I believe this feature would help further cement Fusion 360 as the CAD tool of choice for the Maker community. 

alex_gibson
Community Visitor

I really want this feature in Fusion 360 too.

I rely on OpenSCAD for a completely deterministic, programmed route to the essential geometries of an object - say an electronics enclosure.  I often re-use well proven chunks of code for, say, Raspberry pi mount holes.

Then, I would love to be able to import this into Fusion360 and perhaps sculpt a more refined exterior.

How can this be helped to happen?

hypher
Explorer

I would love to see this in Fusion as well, but for the time being, it is possible, for a limited set of models, using FreeCAD as an intermediary. Not ideal, for sure, but it does work.

I wonder if it would be possible to write a javascript Fusion plugin that could do this...

bregG34PR
Contributor

Similar situation here.

Just started with Fusion-360 for an e-mobility battery case project.

It turned out to be simpler to construct the prototype in openSCAD (to be printed via Cura), than to learn the neccessary steps in Fusion.

Still I'd prefer to continue the (collaborative) work in Fusion, mostly because of the well organized and large community.

The core problem may be not so much in one or another software, but the lack of any standard for a parametric 3D model language.

Always willing to learn.

allanJZMND
Explorer

+1 for an F360 OpenSCAD export

I'd like to be able to publish things using https://www.thingiverse.com/customizer so it's super-easy for others to customize my designs. Unfortunately down at the bottom of that page it says:

Step 1

Make an OpenSCAD file for Customizer

Yes I know OpenSCAD is free, but I already have too many 3D things to learn and not enough time Smiley Frustrated

Thanks!

Bionicbone
Contributor

What @allanJZMND said, on Thingiverse any design that could be useful in many sizes required an SCAD upload so you can input the size you want and the script does the rest. I asked the question in their support group on how to do this with fusion360 and the answer was, stop using Fusion and moved to OpenSCAD because that what we're all using. Now all my designs are uploaded on Thingiverse and I'm a true supporter of Fusion360, but this does not sound good for us 3D printers. Anyone from Fusion360 support care to comment?

Kev

Bionicbone
Contributor

If Fusion360 Support are seeing this, have a look at this app  STL to SCAD converter.

https://jsfiddle.net/yzvGD/506/

It seems to convert everything I throw at it! 

So to test, if I render the converted STL to SCAD file in OpenSCAD and then exported back into an STL using SCAD then load into Simpify3D to slice the file for 3D Printing it does look a little strange (this could be OpenSCAD export to STL), however slicing the file makes it look OK. If i save this file now as .gcode with the same settings then analyse both gcode files for the differences they generally appear to be "near" same. Some XY coords are very slightly out, but I have seen this before and makes no difference to the finished 3D Print.

It would be really cool to get this functionality into Fusion360!new 

Just thought I'd add that I'm happy to do some testing and printing of converted objects if that will cover any quality controls before releasing functionality.

Kev

franklima2600
Community Visitor

The STL to SCAD converter though cool is not useful to for the purposes of communicating useful CAD data.

All of the "solid" geometry of Fusion 360 model is lost when the file is exported as an STL making it a pain in the butt to edit and or modify. Being able to import STL to openscad though useful in some cases is not really a solution. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report