Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OBJ export without auto tesselation

OBJ export without auto tesselation

This is an OBJ mesh I imported into Fusion 360 and you can see this is a pure quad face model

Screen Shot 2014-06-08 at 12.54.01 PM.png

I exported the OBJ mesh to a different application and it is all tesselated. The exporter should only tesselate when requested.

Otherwise the OBJ mesh is nothing else than a STL model just with UV maps.

Screen Shot 2014-06-08 at 12.54.15 PM.png

5 Comments
deyop
Alumni
Status changed to: 実装済み
How would the quad have been generated in Fusion? We are considering how we provide options for import and export now so this is an interesting case. If you had imported you could convert to T-Spline. I understand for use in other applications you might want to output quad from T-Spline. You mentioned that in your other post about direct conversion to OBJ from T-Spline. But how otherwise would the quad have been created? This relates to whether we present the tessellation options during export as opposed to converting to mesh in the document.
cekuhnen
Mentor
Tesselation you mainly want when 3d printing and for game models. But for data exchange for rendering it is not the ideal format. In a poly modeler you can also convert tried to quads but that's an extra step and can change the topology. Plus for rendering our further concept modeling quiets will be better. In rhino you can also select a NURBS mesh and just mesh it into quads.
deyop
Alumni

Not sure I understand this.  Which renderer is using quads?  Perhaps I am mistaken but I thought the standard for rendering would always be triangles even if you don't see the quads change in the current view.

cekuhnen
Mentor

Sorry Paul this was my mistake.

The engines of course render later with triangles. But it is more efficient to build and keep the geometry with as many quads as possible specifically when you need to texture UV unwrap etc the meshes for redering.

Claas

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Archived due to lack of votes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report