Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NGON obj export support

NGON obj export support

Fusions OBJ export only supports tries making it look more like an STL export.

For rendering this produces heavy meshes.

compare this with MOI which meshes with NGONs

Screen Shot 2014-05-23 at 12.00.06 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-05-23 at 12.06.01 PM.png

4 Comments
deyop
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration
I think this is similar to another Idea Station request. It is something for which we have an assigned task and so should be coming in the future. Regarding rendering I would imagine the quads will still be reduced to triangles for rendering purposes regardless of the quad display however the quads are needed for compatible modeling activities. Thanks http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Fusion-360-IdeaStation-Request-a/T-spline-box-object-exporting-to-OBJ/...
DDNHARRIS
Participant

Strongly believe this could be a really powerful feature if done right- MOI is the gold standard for meshing NURBs data, but is still limited by long triangles at the edges of patches. A lot of product rendering requires good UV mapping, and quad dominant meshes are essential for that- my pipeline is still: F360 export to .iges, MOI mesher to .obj ngons, Blender UV/render

Any product that can improve the meshing solution further would make a massive number of sales simply to studios that want to improve the meshing of their data.

I still dream of modelling solids, with all the tangency control of NURBs etc, and then having a mesher operate with the same fidelity as http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/modo/plugins/meshfusion/

As I understand it, the linked thread is more about the export of meshes from T-Spline data, rather than finished Solids data?

cekuhnen
Mentor

Hello fellow Blender user 😉

NURBS to mesh I think is always a trade-off but MOI is pretty fantastic.

I also mesh based on how far an object is away, more refined meshing for close ups

corser meshing for objects more far away.

moth3r
Enthusiast

I am not using Fusion 360 polygon export at all. As said that's unusable and ignorant of our actual needs. So I completely rely on Moi for all of that. I am not advertising Moi but actually trying to raise your attention to the fact this app developed by just one developer fixed most of the problems I have encountered with Fusion. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report