Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Bodies to one Component

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
smeggy
32778 Views, 22 Replies

Multiple Bodies to one Component

If I'm roughing out an idea I generally make dozens of bodies all over the place to get an overall feel for the design and then refine and group from there to organize. One huge pain is only one body to one component. 

I would love to be able to select a whole bunch of bodies, right-click and make one component from all the selected bodies at once instead of the current method. This would clean up the tree much quicker with less scrolling. We're not all organized from the start of a project.

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
NCSkalsky
in reply to: smeggy

Nathan C. Skalsky
Portland, Oregon USA
Message 3 of 23
NCSkalsky

Thanks for the suggestion.  

I assume your typical workflow without this is to create a component with one body and then multi-select and drag the other bodies into that component (from the browser)?

I'll update this when we have more user experince feedback.   We are always interested in ideas to help simplify workflows while keepoing the product easy to learn / discoverable.

Thanks!

-Nathan

Nathan C. Skalsky
Portland, Oregon USA
Message 4 of 23
smeggy

Hi Nathan,

yes, that is the current method I assume most of us use. Trouble is, with all the sketches, planes, bodies, etc. It's a lot of scrolling.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 23
schneik-adsk

One solution is to select the bodies and then in the browser drag and drop on the component you want those bodies to belong to?

Kevin Schneider
Message 6 of 23
keqingsong

Keqing Song
Autodesk Fusion Community Manager
Portland, Oregon, USA

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

Message 7 of 23
KirillChepizhko

This solution is not working for me. I create a component from a body and then try to drag and drop other bodies into that component and it doesnt do it.  i am on 2.0.1761

Message 8 of 23

I'm currently experiencing a similar problem, in which I'd like to bind several bodies together into one component, and I tried to drag them into the component, but it doesn't move into that folder. How can I do this?

Message 9 of 23

You can help us by exporting your design as a .f3d File and attaching it to your next post. Your sparse verbal description is not much to go by 😉

Peter Doering
Message 10 of 23
benjaminkolligs

Hi, I actually figured it out though not the way this original post describes. I created several components and made them into a rigid group, and that was what I was looking for!
Thanks
Message 11 of 23

3 years later your answer still helped me out! You would think with multiple bodies selected, "create component from body" would give you the option "one component or multiple"

Message 12 of 23

I was expirancing the same problem and the way i fixed it was by moving the bottom timeline all the way to the right. 

Message 13 of 23

Thank you! Such a simple thing causing so much frustration! Thank you so much

Message 14 of 23
thicot01

Easy enough, select your bodies then click on "Modify" then select "Combine" you can now choose whether to combine them or create a new component from those bodies or intersect, cut whatever you need to do.

Message 15 of 23
gregsQRHH2
in reply to: thicot01

That makes sense, however how do you do this without selecting one of the operations like join, etc? I need my parts kept separate for building needs, and can't have them join together into one body.

@thicot01 wrote:

Easy enough, select your bodies then click on "Modify" then select "Combine" you can now choose whether to combine them or create a new component from those bodies or intersect, cut whatever you need to do.

Message 16 of 23
chrisplyler
in reply to: gregsQRHH2

@gregsQRHH2 wrote:

That makes sense, however how do you do this without selecting one of the operations like join, etc? I need my parts kept separate for building needs, and can't have them join together into one body.

Distinct, separate bodies SHOULD be distinct, separate components. A bolt on one side, and a nut on the other side, (just for example) are two separate parts of an assembly. They don't belong in a single component.

If you want them to be grouped together, the proper workflow within Fusion is to organize multiple, related components such that they are nested within a sub-assembly.

Like this:

nylock browser.JPG

Now I know it's not always possible to predict your desired organization setup ahead of time, but you will be better off whenever you can do so, and create the components with the desired organization to begin with instead of trying to rearrange everything after the fact.

Message 17 of 23
gregsQRHH2
in reply to: chrisplyler

Got it and that makes sense.

I figured out how to get those things into a sub-assembly as well.

Thanks for the clarification!

Message 18 of 23
eforman
in reply to: chrisplyler

Curious what you recommend for best workflow for something made from two parts where it will become one when assembled, such as something machined from a double thickness sheet. Assuming you need to keep the seam visible in your design, and separate them for machining as well. Two bodies in one component, or two components?

Use case:

I have an Assembly with several bodies and components. Two of the bodies, Arm A and Arm B, need to be be in a component in order for Manufacture Model "Arrange" to work. Selecting the bodies and converting to component makes a separate component for each, which seems messy. (Esp since there is patterning etc downstream.)

As @gregsQRHH2 mentioned, combining into a new component joins the bodies, which kills the separation.

Dragging and dropping one body into a component is not possible.

Rewinding and creating a new component before the bodies breaks almost everything else after it in the timeline. (Even though those features are on those bodies, Fusion seems to lose track of them if they are moved into a component.) 

I know doing it right from the beginning is the ultimate answer, so what is your recommended structure for the above example? And, besides that, is there any advice to achieve this after the fact?

Thanks!Screen Shot 2020-11-07 at 12.02.26 PM.png

Message 19 of 23
g-andresen
in reply to: eforman

Hi,

1. arm A and arm B are bodies in the same assembly (Arm1)
2. body "Wire" belongs to the sub-component "Wire" within the assembly "Arm1".

Please share your design and say what you want to achieve.

Günther

Message 20 of 23
eforman
in reply to: g-andresen

My questions are above, sorry if they weren't clear:

1. If you were building the given example from scratch (a single piece that will be glued from two mirrored pieces), would you put the two bodies in one component, or two components with one body each? Just in terms of Fusion best practices. 

2. In the case related to the OP's question, and in my screenshot, for a complex model is already built but you need to convert bodies to components for Arrange (for machining), what is best workflow.

(For #2, I believe it is converting the bodies to components in the Manufacturing Model, not in Design. And then putting them in a new parent component if you wish, for org.)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report