Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MBD (Model Based Definition) an PMI (Product Manufacturing Information)

MBD (Model Based Definition) an PMI (Product Manufacturing Information)

I am reposting this request from my original post in the "General Discussion" forum about PMI and MBD, The reason I have more than one idea in the same post is because they all tie together in having Fusion 360 compatible with a LOTAR based system such as the one I am developing. I will also split out and post the individual ideas contained in this post to allow voting on them separately in addition to this collection of ideas for use in a specialized system.

From what I have seen, Fusion 360 is a fantastic product with lots of potential as it matures. I work for a large aerospace company and we are moving toward MBD (Model Based Definition). One of our aircraft programs is already using MBD, another program is using Solid Models with Minimally Dimensioned Drawings, and most of our production and legacy programs use Engineering Drawings sometimes supported by Solid Models with the drawings being the master design data passed on to Manufacturing. Here are a few things I would like to see incorporated into Fusion 360 to enable it to potentially serve as a viewing, interrogating, editing, and creation tool for the 3D models in this type of system:

• MBD with full standard dimensioning and GD&T functionality.

• Ability to create associative engineering drawings from a standard model or assembly, and from MBD data, especially if standard associative 2D drawings can be automatically or semi-automatically generated from the MBD data (some suppliers still require standard 2D drawings), and the ability to save/export the drawings in an open neutral format (e.g. IGES and vector PDF).

• Ability to store the models and possibly drawings in local systems (file systems, PDM, or Cloud), since company and government regulations require us to store, manage, and secure ETD (Electronic Type Design) Data on-site and not on another company's system (Cloud or otherwise).

• Ability to generate additional Physical/Mass Properties of a model (e.g. to be used for Manufacturing, Quality Inspection, CAE, and model integrity validation purposes when importing to or exporting from Fusion 360). In addition to the physical properties already calculated by Fusion 360, Moments of Inertia and Center of Gravity (Center of Mass) should also be included. Also, the ability to export all physical properties to a textual format that can be imported into a database, or compared to physical properties from original model already stored in system database to validate design integrity of any derivative models.

• A less expensive read-only or restricted version of Fusion 360 for commercial use, except that it would still include the ability to import 3D models from other CAD systems such as Catia V5 (as Fusion 360 currently does) and from neutral file formats such as STEP AP 203, AP 203ed2, AP 214, and AP 242. There are already low cost and no cost CAD products from well known CAD Vendors that provide this type of limited functionality, and one no-cost CAD system version even lets you open and save models and assemblies (neutral format) that have no more than 60 components. This type of viewing, interrogating, and restricted editing of CAD parts and assemblies would be primarily for downstream non-design users of the data. An option then, in Fusion 360, to upgrade to the fully enabled version would be a good idea too, for suppliers and engineers that used Fusion 360 to access models from PDM type systems, but needed their own fully functional copy of the software for design, analysis, and manufacturing purposes.

• Ability to import and export an entire STEP (AP 203, AP 203ed2, AP 214, or AP 242) top assembly, with the top assembly and each component and sub-assembly being a separate STEP file contained in the same directory, would be invaluable to integrate with a PDM type system that stores all assembly components (parts and sub-assemblies) as separate STEP files (i.e. LOTAR based systems).

• Support for compressed STEP format (.stpz) models would greatly reduce file storage and network transport requirements.

• Ability to heal and/or stitch imported models into valid solids.

BTW, the Feature Recognition and Direct Modeling capabilities are very impressive, even on dumb BREP models in neutral formats exported from old explicit CAD systems.

5 Comments
schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: 実装済み

Thanks for the ideas.

There is an ongoing discussion for pmi here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Everything-Else-General/Are-any-of-you-interested-in-3D-Annotations-PM... Other ideas here are great and I am sure will start lively discussion.

As to healing there are some good tools built in. Take a look at the patch workspace and in the analysis tools there is a validate command that can stitch and heal designs that don't come in water tight.

JohnnyDR
Contributor

Thanks for the info Kevin.

Actually, my very first post was to that discussion, and it was recommended that I submit the ideas to the IdeaStation.

I did test the "Validate" command on a STEP solid model I exported from another CAD system.  When I ran the "Validate" command and selected the body it came back with "No issues found", which I expected, but when I deleted one of the surfaces of the solid body and ran "Validate" again on the same model it still came back with "No issues found".

I'm assuming it validated that all of the surfaces were OK, but is there a way to validate and/or heal a "solid" model as a valid solid?

Thanks

schneik-adsk
Community Manager

If all you want to do is heal a model of separate surfaces to make it watertight, you only need to use stitch. You can loosen the tolerance to remove small gaps. If you open the tolerance too much you can cause down stream operations you might do later some trouble.

Sorry that I missed you were at the start of the MBD post.

brianrepp
Community Manager
Status changed to: オートデスク今後検討

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Thank you for your idea, this is getting archived due to the number of ideas that are in this one idea.  I have provided feedback on each idea individually below.

• MBD with full standard dimensioning and GD&T functionality. = Future Consideration

• Ability to create associative engineering drawings from a standard model or assembly, and from MBD data, especially if standard associative 2D drawings can be automatically or semi-automatically generated from the MBD data (some suppliers still require standard 2D drawings), and the ability to save/export the drawings in an open neutral format (e.g. IGES and vector PDF).   = Future Consideration

• Ability to store the models and possibly drawings in local systems (file systems, PDM, or Cloud), since company and government regulations require us to store, manage, and secure ETD (Electronic Type Design) Data on-site and not on another company's system (Cloud or otherwise).   = Archived, we have not plans to do this.

• Ability to generate additional Physical/Mass Properties of a model (e.g. to be used for Manufacturing, Quality Inspection, CAE, and model integrity validation purposes when importing to or exporting from Fusion 360). In addition to the physical properties already calculated by Fusion 360, Moments of Inertia and Center of Gravity (Center of Mass) should also be included. Also, the ability to export all physical properties to a textual format that can be imported into a database, or compared to physical properties from original model already stored in system database to validate design integrity of any derivative models.  = Implemented, this was recently added in our last release.

• A less expensive read-only or restricted version of Fusion 360 for commercial use, except that it would still include the ability to import 3D models from other CAD systems such as Catia V5 (as Fusion 360 currently does) and from neutral file formats such as STEP AP 203, AP 203ed2, AP 214, and AP 242. There are already low cost and no cost CAD products from well known CAD Vendors that provide this type of limited functionality, and one no-cost CAD system version even lets you open and save models and assemblies (neutral format) that have no more than 60 components. This type of viewing, interrogating, and restricted editing of CAD parts and assemblies would be primarily for downstream non-design users of the data. An option then, in Fusion 360, to upgrade to the fully enabled version would be a good idea too, for suppliers and engineers that used Fusion 360 to access models from PDM type systems, but needed their own fully functional copy of the software for design, analysis, and manufacturing purposes.  = Archived

• Ability to import and export an entire STEP (AP 203, AP 203ed2, AP 214, or AP 242) top assembly, with the top assembly and each component and sub-assembly being a separate STEP file contained in the same directory, would be invaluable to integrate with a PDM type system that stores all assembly components (parts and sub-assemblies) as separate STEP files (i.e. LOTAR based systems).  = Future Consideration

• Support for compressed STEP format (.stpz) models would greatly reduce file storage and network transport requirements.   = Future Consideration 

• Ability to heal and/or stitch imported models into valid solids.  = See Kevin's reply

Regards,

Mike Prom

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report