Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep all features visible in all modes - just disable them

Keep all features visible in all modes - just disable them

Hi,

how many threads we will have in the future which are related to switched on / off parametric mode and missing/disapperaing tools, HUDs, manipulators, etc.???

The autodesk teams should count how many threads we had in the past. How long this will go in the future?

It cannot be that some functions just disappear because parametric modelling is activated, this is really really uncomfortable and confuses a lot of users, like many threads in this forum show.

It could be so easy, I posted already in another thread:

1. Indepentend from the selected modelling mode please show always all tools, HUDs, manipulator, etc.

2. If one of the tools, HUDs, manipulator, etc. is not working in parametric modelling mode just disable it, grey it out, but keep it visible!

3. On hovering the mouse over a disabled tool, HUDs, manipulator, etc. show a hint 'tool only wotking in direct modelling mode'

This way users can see that a tool exists and don't have to wonder why a tool sometimes exists sometimes not.

So it's just that easy! These three steps could reduce a lot of users confusion!

Please implement asap and help the users get rid of many confusion.

Thanks!

7 Comments

Seconded. I wasted [conservatively] 30 very frustrating minutes yesterday trying to figure out how to rescale and place an SVG logo I dropped into a design.

Little things like that that cost momentum are nearly as bad as frequent crashes with data loss in terms of annoying users and making their experience needlessly misrable and annoying.

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: 実装済み
I understand the ask to show tools. Can you give an example of a HUD or manipulator that is not working?
thburn
Collaborator

Hi schneik,

I remember a thread here where a user had problems to rotate a body using the manipulator.

This did not work since he was i n parametric modelling mode. The link is here:

Rotate a Curve Sketch

AbdnAllHope
Advocate

I can see this being very valuable in the interest of discoverability for new users.  However once some experiernce or expertise is gained I think it would become pretty annoying.  Some things that are absolutley critical for new users can be crippling to the pro's.  After a while you already know every pop up, warning or tip thats going to appear before it starts to fade in.  Greyed out items in the menu's take up a lot of pixels and can add a lot of mouse miles.

Since the goal would be to help new users become experts, I'd suggest that anything like this be something that is toggleable in preferences.

phil

haughec
Autodesk

Thanks for posting the request.  I can understand the confusion.  The sketch rotation thread you mentioned is really part of the same issue: some commands just aren't yet available in parametric modeling, and it's not easy to understand why.

While I have some reservations about introducing a number of non-functioning commands to the UI, I can relate with the concern.  I'm marking this as "Under Review".

We expect this to be a short-lived problem.  We'll be introducing additional parametric commands in May (Boundary Patch, Stitch), we're working on more for June (Boundary Fill, Solid Loft, Surface Loft, Scale) and we'll continue to close the feature gap between parametric & direct modeling.

Thanks again,

Charles

haughec
Autodesk
Status changed to: オートデスク今後検討

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Putting this in to Future for the UX team to review.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report