Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improve usability of move scale rotate tool incl. snapping

Improve usability of move scale rotate tool incl. snapping

I think Fusions till lacks serious abilities to move scale rotate quickly objects in relationship to grid freehand positions.

Fusion has to be able to repostion the move widgest by hand and snap to the grid and not only snap to excisting geometry.

Check the Rhino video and you will see the extrem visible shortcomings in Fusion right now.

Rhino Fusion Screencast:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byzv_NlyKp_2dHZ1S200ZEV1Wjg/edit?usp=sharing

7 Comments
Oceanconcepts
Advisor

Agree, I often find I can't reorient the widget to where I want in a drawing. It just refuses to snap to an edge or a face- but then I can close the tool, and without changing anything, not even the view, have it work. 

Snapping seems like a more general problem, it works in Joints, but less well in other tools, including measure.

cekuhnen
Mentor

I find the lack of snapping such a problem that when you work with multiple parts like I do right now in a furniture project I rather not select Fusion because to make it work here, the workflow so much more intense and complicated compared to Rhino Alias. Even Blender as a dump poly modeler

gives me here a faster and yet still parametric workflow.

garin
Alumni

I have had a few conversations lately around better use of the grid. I do like how Rhino lets you quickly and easily select and move/rotate a model by using the grid. We need to look at this closer. 

garin
Alumni
Status changed to: オートデスク今後検討

garin
Alumni

Do you guys mostly run into this with imported model or do you run into this on forward created things as well? In looking at Rhino these days there are lots of commands/icons that do all sorts of really good things although add a lot of complexity/clutter in the product. Is there a minimum set of tools needed to be able to move/rotate with the precision you are looking for, what does that look like? Are there things that Rhino does in this are that you can live without?

cekuhnen
Mentor

In deed Rhino has many commands and functions but I ask myself if it is really needed to duplicate basic functions and provide them with a unique tool icon to call them. In my opinion it blows up the interface too much and I am too lazy to custice also the tool menu - my bad.

Fusion here has in my opinion an interesting approach like the scale command offers to modes. The move

command also includes the rotate command and each tool has different ways to set the command center point which is inconsitent from a UI point of view.

Screen Shot 2014-05-08 at 7.44.09 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-05-08 at 7.44.45 PM.png

But further more both commands can be put into one tool icon to be honest. They both only offer

rotation move and scale based on xyz numeric input and mouse controll. Uniform and non uniform scale can be done as well via numeric input or mouse input.

But what is bad that non-uniform in the above screen shot allows me to scale alpong global xyz directions

while uniform scale to and from the point I seleted:

Screen Shot 2014-05-08 at 7.52.42 PM.png

What really is missing a snap when scaling or rotation like Rhino or Blender can perform, but for that Fusion also really needs to have a globaly working snap engine and currently it hardly offers anything that wants me to create geometry inside Fusion rather assemble surface imports in Fusion.

Here are two videos to explain:

Rhino: how easy I can repostion and rotate newly imported geometry

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byzv_NlyKp_2Q2c2RzBmTjE0elU/edit?usp=sharing

Blender: How easy I can use snapping with move scale rotate commands

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byzv_NlyKp_2X082WG1aQU1SNmM/edit?usp=sharing

Take a look at this design:

Screen Shot 2014-05-08 at 8.25.14 PM.png

Solid + Surface geometry is parented linked to Null objects

Null objetcs when moved move the associated geometry

Poly grid lines can be used for easy move and snapping (Blender and Rhino)

The transformation pallet also tells where where everything is.

In Fusion I would have to start with sketch planes to even have a slim idea where to place parts and position parts and that is very limiting and not very intuitive. I am not in controll as much as in other CAD applications.

As basic as snapping sounds it is really one of the most imported tool among geometry generation.

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report