Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grouping components in the Browser

Grouping components in the Browser

I would like to be able to group components/features in the left-hand browser. If the design gets very detailed, it is easy to get lost between the component names. Also, I am not a big fan of scrolling either. Grouping or putting components to appropriate folders should help to rectify the problem. 

24 Comments
Oceanconcepts
Advisor

Yes, keeping the browser list short is a big help.  Have you tried creating components into which others are placed?  This can help logical organization and possibly accomplish what you are looking for in nesting components into groups.

Ron

petrikas.m
Contributor

Hi and thanks for the reply.
I don't think that putting components in other components is the solution. It might be a way around though. Thanks

colin.smith
Alumni

Hi Gus, 

If you are looking for simple grouping of bodies in the browser you can also use the group feature in browser.  This creates a new folder in the browser that you can put items in.  Just select the top of the bodies folder and right click - select New Group from the drop down list.

Cheers, 

Colin

browser grouping.png

deyop
Alumni

This video may help explain some of the concepts behind the browser.

Components and bodies

schneik-adsk
Community Manager

What worries you about nesting as a sub assembly? Groups is still a good idea but there are not as many limitations with sub assemblies as you might be used to.

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: 実装済み

petrikas.m
Contributor

Yes, it has been explained to me that sub assemblies do not interfere with the project (unlike in Inventor, where if you keep assemblies within assemblies, various problems may occur). Thank you again.

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

dan..r
Observer

Not sure if this is the same problem, but I could not drag and drop components/bodies/sketches etc to create 'grouped' components or subcomponents within my browser tree.

It turns out that if you deactivate the timeline at the bottom of your screen, you are then allowed to rearrange your browser tree however youd like. beware becasue it resets your timeline history after that.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

it seems to me that there is no option "New Group". Maybe it was removed after Colin Smith posted his screenshot in 2013? At least I cannot find it - not in the program nor have I seen anyone using this feature in any tutorial online.

Especially when creating patterns you really get lots of bodies that should be definitely grouped in a folder instead of flooding the root.

aniewels
Community Visitor

When I selected two or more bodies I have Create Group. But nothing happens when I select it...

Broken?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here. Select multiple bodies, right-click one selected body, choose Create Group. Nothing happens. Circular patterns create an absolute mess with this feature being broken.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same issue creating circular patterns with a proliferation of bodies in a long list. 
I'd like to group the bodies I am patterning and have the group patterned.

The "New Group" option mentioned earlier has been removed so what is the solution to group bodies ? 

yebyps
Enthusiast

Hi all

I agree with Christian.  There is no 'new group' option in a body folder.  Also in my assembly there is no main Body folder  under the main Origin because all my Bodies are within Components which I declared and edited within.  What would be good is a main Body folder which echoes all the Bodies in the tree within Components. 

Alan 

andre.luebken
Community Visitor

Same here. Doesn't work.

I think I have modeled a rather small thing, but even there it gets crowded pretty fast.

I can imagine that this is simply unusable for larger projects.

Zero__
Alumni

Did anything come of this? Did it get fixed? Really need to group two dozen fastener components.

cjsdfw
Observer
I have been researching all day today how to properly group components after encountering issues with the creation of joints when grouping components inside other components.
I believe the safest way is to create selection groups. This approach allows you to work/reference "groups" of components but it does not resolve the "cluttered browser" issue.
Perhaps someone with more experience with Fusion 360 cares to comment further.
rtystgeeke
Participant

Folders would be an absolutely useful feature as the feature tree get  quite crowded, especially when importing parts and assemblies. I've been making components and using those to group parts together but it isn't a great option because of the circular reference problem and when scrubbing back through the history prior to organizing parts it becomes messy again. Turning history off works ok, but it's not ideal.

Something to try (and that I'm still experimenting with) is building parts in your model with history, make a copy of the file, use the remove component command, and then import the new version of the part back into the original file (which is no longer linked), could be a recipe for disaster though.

But folders would be sweet.

zelfPX3TT
Participant

+1

60 Imported bolts listed as 60 individual bolts in the browser is not really convenient. Perhaps a label-system would work. I.e. hide/show only bolts holding "the top cover of my housing".

AverageJoeUser
Contributor

Groups is half-baked at best. 

I'm experiencing multiple issues with it, from non-working "Create Group" (after selecting several bodies) to a non-working "Move to Group" after doing the same, to everything in between.  In my case, using bodies along a path to cut stitch holes into fabric components.  Hundreds of cutters...no way to group them to get them out of the Bodies folder. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report