Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geometry-based Orbit

Geometry-based Orbit

Today there are 2 options for Orbit view { Constrained, Free }. I suggest a 3rd one that is Geometry-based.

In Geometry based you select the point (or vertice) where you want to rotate (orbit) the model and the view does not became centered in the point. Instead the view stays exactly as it is, but as you start to rotate (orbit), it will rotate around that point, that is not centered in the view.

The reason for that is when you are working in a complex area of the model and you just need to have a quick rotation to get a better perspective, the action to displace the model to center it in the point you select (as it is today) is a distraction that may disrupt the thinking process at that moment.

Regards

Marcio

7 Comments
mbraga0001
Enthusiast

Short update: In Geometry-based visualization you select the point (for free or constrained rotation around the point) or a line (for rotation around the line) or a plane (for translation over that plane - blocking rotation).

haughec
Autodesk

Both Constrained Orbit and Free Orbit operations allow you to set a rotation point, though it's not very easy to discover.

While holding the Shift key, click (press and release) the middle mouse button over any face/edge/vertex of the model to set the center of rotation.  You'll see a small, red dot that indicates the new center.  Let me know if this addressed your request.

Thanks,

Charles

haughec
Autodesk
Status changed to: 実装済み

mbraga0001
Enthusiast

Thank you Charles. That information (very useful) address almost 100% of the idea.

The part not addressed is the line rotation. I suggest the constrained-orbit be constrained by a line that can be defined by the same mechanism: While holding the shift key, highlight a LINE and click the middle mouse button. The line will became red and the entire model will be constrained-orbit around that line. If you highlight a POINT, the model will be free-orbit around that point.

With that, you do not need to expose the user to selection of these 2 types of orbits. These 2 types of orbit can even be hidden from the user. If one select a point, it will be (automatically) free-orbit. If any line (or line-segment) is selected, it is automatically line-constrained-orbit.

Thanks

Marcio

haughec
Autodesk

Hi Marcio,

Thanks for the suggestion.  We've intentionally separated Free Orbit & Constrained Orbit (available from the navigation bar at the bottom of the application, for those who may not be aware that there are two behaviors) because Orbit behavior is usually quite specific to either models or users.

• Free Orbit rotates the model freely about a point, with no sense of a "dominant axis" or sense of "up".  Some users prefer this type of Orbit, especially for models which don't have a strong notion of top/bottom (bolts, gears, etc).

• Constrained Orbit rotates the model about a particular axis to maintain a sense of "up".  This is intended to pivot in a more natural manner around models with a strong notion of top/bottom (Cars, chairs, etc).  

I'm not inclined to mix the two behaviors because it could make Orbit unpredictable.  That said, I think that Constrained Orbit can be improved to achieve the results you're after.  There are subtle behaviors that may be clouding the issue.  Instead of diving into Orbit behavioral minutia, I'll ask a probing question:  Has anyone found Constrained Orbit (Fusion's default Orbit behavior) to be unpredictable, or does it rotate models as you would expect?  Any insight would help.

Thanks,

Charles

mbraga0001
Enthusiast

Constrained Orbit rotates the model about a particular axis to maintain a sense of "up".

This "particular-up-axis" that comes with the Constrained Orbit is the one unpredictable to me. Allow me to explain:
1) Assuming I want to predictable (and precisely) rotate the model about the axis indicated in picture 1.
2) I can not do that with any of the orbit features.
3) So, I try with the Shift-Click feature and mark the axis as indicated in picture 2.
4) Then I try to predictable rotate the model about that axis but I can not do that. So it is unpredictable to me.

obs1: I understand the Shift-Click feature is a geometry-based Free Orbit (point-rotation, not axis-rotation), so it is not expected to do what I'm proposing. I used it as example because it is the feature that is closest what I'm looking for.

obs2: Why I need to precisely rotate the model around an axis ? Maybe this is another good question to make: Does anyone need to precisely rotate the model about a specific axis ?

Fusion3.png

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report