Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving dimensions

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
smeggy
3393 Views, 4 Replies

Driving dimensions

One  of the features I miss most from Inventor fusion is having driving dimensions. I even went so far as to buy a second PC with XP just to run IF to have this feature. My main PC is Win8.1 so it isn't compatible. Setting sizes wih dimensions and having dimensions on the Bodies for reference makes my life so much easier. 

I admit that it's less useful on T-Spline type designs but for hard-body engineering stuff I find it invaluable. Currently the only workaround I've found is to make reference geometry that I can snap to. This is both messy and inconvenient. I wish many more of the Inventor Fusion features and interface had come over into Fusion 360 and in most ways I feel it's a better program for my needs. Sadly it's no longer in development and transferring geometry between the two is a pain.

I like the way fusion 360 is heading and if development continues the way it is, it should be very good indeed. Please add back some of the fundamentally useful IF feaures. 

Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
haughec
in reply to: smeggy

Thanks for the request.  I'm familiar with driving dimensions from Inventor Fusion, and I miss them too.

One significant difference between Inventor Fusion and Fusion 360 (among many) is that Fusion 360 has introduced parametric modeling, in which sketch & model dimensions can be used to drive changes to the model.  For example, if you edit a sketch and change the sketch dimensions, any features referencing that sketch (Extrudes, Revolves, etc) will update.  Each of these dimensions creates a Parameter than can also be changed using the "Change Parameters" command in the Modify panel of the Model workspace.

Please take a look and let me know if this reduces the need for driving dimensions.

Charles

Charles Haughey
Fusion 360 User Experience Architect
Message 3 of 5
haughec

Charles Haughey
Fusion 360 User Experience Architect
Message 4 of 5
jdmech

I also think that driven dimensions are very important as a quick building tool.

Even if you are not using them to drive a parameter - it's just a visual measurement that 

travels with that sketch so you can quickly get the number you need without having to drop the current sketch

procedure and grab the measure tool.

I vote for something similiar like Reference dimensions or Driven dimensions in the future if poss.

best regards - jdmech

Message 5 of 5
promm

smeggy,

Driven dimensions cam out in our June release.  There is still development work being done to make them referenced across the entire model.

Cheers,

Mike Prom

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report