Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloud and Online Work

Cloud and Online Work

While I embrace the idea of cloud based data hubs for many of their obvious advantages I 'd like to point out some major shortcomings of this concept:

1. Data integrity

While my data is uploaded to the hub data integrity can be affected by server or network faults - so a local copy is needed that does not erase itself and is hidden away somewhere deep in a more or less hidden folder structure.

better idea: sync local and hub data in the background for selected data sets only

2. App usability

Working with confidential customer data is not possible because upload of intellectual property of a customer (or your employer) to a third party server is usually illegal or strongly prohibited. This limits the use of Fusion360 drastically for me. I must proof that protected data has no chance to get beyond the allowed realm. Practically this makes Fusion360 a no go if I have no proper control about what data goes where.

When working with data sets of clients usually during a meeting where options are discussed and decisions are made based on an available data model the use of Fusion360 is very limited if not useless, because of the long loop to upload and afterwards download data in order to get it rendered. Not to mention the lack of an internetaccess for guests through a companies LAN, which is basically scarce at best in these situations if not totally prohibited.

And at the usual limited bandwidth a normal upload/dowload cycle of a mildly complex construction takes what? 10 minutes? 1 hour? Through a cell-phone connection 2 days? A bit long compared to 1 second opening the data locally.

better idea: transparent access to local data without a forced round trip through the internet

155 Comments
JohnnyDR
Contributor

Ability to store the models and possibly drawings in local systems (file systems, PDM, or Cloud) without automatically uploading proprietary design data to an external repository, since company and government regulations require us to store, manage, and secure ETD (Electronic Type Design) Data on-site and not on another company's system (Cloud or otherwise).

Tags (4)
schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: 実装予定
At this point this is a ways off. We understand some companies have reasons why the current cloud storage will not work for them. For some that will change overtime as the technology is proven out. For others it may never be possible. We are focused on maximizing the collaboration and sharing based on the cloud services for now and will be watching and listening to thoughts on this topic.
JohnnyDR
Contributor

Thanks for considering this in the future.  The use I have in mind for Fusion 360 will be sometime in the not-to-distant future as well.

I would very much like to be in the beta group whenever you add the capability for local system storage, since unfortunately, I cannot even evaluate Fusion 360, using our company's confidential CAD data, until I know for certain that the data can be kept in a secured company location without it being automatically stored in an external repository that we do not control.

I certainly understand the appeal of external cloud services and Autodesk's decision to initially focus on it exclusively.  However, I believe large manufacturing companies and government regulated companies such as the one I work for, will be very slow adopting technology that does not provide the option to keep all design data in a company controlled repository, even though for smaller companies the cloud services could provide many benefits.

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: 実装済み
Hi Ulrichpetschke, thanks for your comments. One of the reasons we have data make a round trip through the cloud is for translation services. I'd like to hear from other users on this. Please comment.
whunter
Advocate

One should be able to decide which data is local ONLY and which data can be synced to the cloud.

Employers and/or clients hear cloud and then they think that the whole world can Google for "water to fuel machine" and then someone can download their precious IP. Most of us know it's rubbish, but employers/clients somehow think that if you have their data on a computer (which can be lost, broken or stolen), somehow the data is safer. It's less effort on my part to say "your data is not in the cloud" than trying to explain the security of the cloud to an employer/client. That's the state of affairs, in 10 years' time it might be different.

File conversion in the cloud makes sense, but then there must be an option that once the data has been converted it is deleted from cloud (to put your employer/client's mind at ease). I do however think that Fusion 360 should at least have a built-in/local STEP and OBJ converter. If the net is down or slow or not available, then you can at least convert a file.

Summary:

1. Ability to choose which data is local only, cloud only or synced.
  2. Local (on computer) file converters (e.g., STEP, IGES, SAT, OBJ) that's available if the net is broken or slow.

--

Win 7 64-bit, South Africa.

aalzagax
Contributor

My IT manager has the same problem with the whole Cloud concept. Is there a way I can show him everything is protected? Otherwishe he just won't authorize me working with Fusion for projects at work.

quaverf
Advocate

I completely agree with this suggestion.  The ability to retain a local copy of the latest revision of all user items is essential to protecting user IP and ensuring access for use whenever needed.  I believe the issues that arose this past weekend (Jan 18-20) due to the planned system maintenance event demonstrates this need. 

I would pose the suggestion as a question, why would it be a good idea to NOT save a local copy?

It's bad enough that the program is so unstable but it'd be nice to not have it crash and then see something like this..

Capture d’écran 2014-08-02 à 15.14.00.png

Whatever the architecture or design, why not just make it a fully-fledged offline app that's only enhanced by the presence of a reliable network connection and not harmed by its absence or by downtime (scheduled or otherwise)?

Tags (4)
SteveHenshall
Explorer

Unfortunately, in it's present form it is not a product we can use, due to being dictated to regarding where information is stored. It is debatable whether Cloud technology will ever be secure enough for some clients, but, in the meanwhile, the AutoDesk policy of FORCING client to use Cloud technology is actually depriving companies of using some products, especially as you acknowledge Cloud technology is not proven. Storing data locally, should not be something that is for future consideration, and is "a ways off", it should be available now as default, with Cloud storage only being an option.

revalamp
Explorer

I'm sure whether this is a future consideration or not, but it's still a good idea i believe.

You could import files to fusion app when you're offline and later when you have internet connection it syncs with your account as it is currently.

Right now every time i want to modify something i downloaded from here or grabcad i must wait for the upload to complete. This is really a problem with large files because it takes so long to upload.

Thanks!

Tags (3)
herzinj
Alumni

jbisme
Enthusiast

Could not agree more.

Jon Banquer

CADCAM Technology Leaders group on LinkedIn

BillyBobBilly
Enthusiast

Agree

I propose a "thick" client.

schneik-adsk
Community Manager

We are not happy about this poor experience.  Everyone here is committed to delivering the best experience we can and we are going to continue to improve.  Creating a full desktop application is not something that is possible without making large sacrafices in capability.

Thanks, Kevin. FWIW - I did notice that during the downtime this saturday it was actually fairly usable (save for a couple of hangs) and it's been much more stable recently.

schneik.fastmail.com
Participant

It is a good sign. A you know the team take this very seriously and we are working on short term and long term project's that continue to make Fusion the best product development platform.

JakubJewula
Enthusiast

Hi

I have just trying to send file to serve - 733KB (not MB or GB ;))

I waiting longer than 10min...

IMHO - whole "cloud" ideal it's worst part of this software.

It's time wasting - my and your as a software producer...

Clous (like Dropbox) is perfect for backup, file sharint but NOT

for working like in Fusion360...

I need FULL ofline software - file opening, importing, exporting etc

AND cloud based backup / file sharing.

Current versions seemd to be uselles 😞

Ps. Excuse my English.

Jakub

Tags (1)
kb9ydn
Advisor

I've got two files uploading right now; about 800kb total.  It's been at least 10 minutes and they're only about 3/4 finished.  They need to add some more server capacity in the short term, because this is WAY too long to have to wait.

C|

I too support the idea of full offline file storage. If you really want us to keep our stuff with you, give us the ability to store a copy of EVERYTHING on our own hard drive. Yes, the idea of sharing something you are working on is an awesome idea. That is why there should be a "share with" button and "upload to cloud for sharing" and "upload to cloud for backup" button. Just my $.02

kb9ydn
Advisor

I would prefer that all file operations be done locally first, and then synced with the server in the background.  This way I'm not waiting for it all the time.

C|

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report