Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additional Physical/Mass Properties

Additional Physical/Mass Properties

Ability to generate additional Physical/Mass Properties of a model (e.g. to be used for Manufacturing, Quality Inspection, CAE, and model integrity validation purposes when importing to or exporting from Fusion 360). In addition to the physical properties already calculated by Fusion 360, Moments of Inertia and Center of Gravity (Center of Mass) should also be included. Also, the ability to export all physical properties to a textual format that can be imported into a database, or compared to physical properties from original model already stored in system database to validate design integrity of any derivative models.

24 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

This would be great.

lure23
Collaborator

This is where samenor's request for wall thickness and curvature constraints would naturally fit in. John does mention Quality Inspection in the entry - I'm just underlining the connection to the other post.

For the other samenor's request (hole positioning and fitting within bounds) there are other suggestions, including my "no zone, glue and magnets".

whunter
Advocate

Agreed, we need at least the ability to get a model's CoG!

William

Win 7 64-bit, South Africa.
--
Please mark this as Solved if it answered your question, other people may find it useful too.

O.Tan
Advisor

Hi,

Would be great for F360 to have a feature to allow the designer to know those information written above as it'll help in the design process.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello you can just right click on the Root of the Browser, and then select "Property". Please refer to the attached Screen Shot. For Example: Right click on "New Pendant " then select property. The Box will come out giving you the related information.

Screen Shot 2014-12-11 at 12.07.00 pm.png

O.Tan
Advisor

Yeah, it seems so, but there's still no Center of Mass and Center of Volume which is important in some designs as you need it to determine the stability of the product you're designing. 

I'm thinking that we can have something similar like what's shown showing the coordinates of the CoM and CoV, and also on the model we can see 2 dots (probably 1 red and 1 green) representing the position of the CoM and CoV

O.Tan
Advisor

light.png

The picture above highlights an example of such cases, so how should I know how big the base has to be in order to be sure that the lamp will not fall sideways? Center of Mass (and in other cases, Center of Volume) will allow the designer to do so. 

Also moment of inertia (and higher order moments).

O.Tan
Advisor

Yes, that would be ideal as well

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: オートデスク今後検討

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

O.Tan
Advisor

A few extra infos that I forgot to mention:

1. Properties takes account with different materials selected, right now if I got 3 components with different materials, I can only either use properties for all the components or individual component. I would like to be able to select 2 components of different materials and get its properties.

2. CoM and CoV:

The result will create a point, something similar to a UCS point, the user is able to measure this point to the origin (or it can be baked into the result panel, perhaps something like CoM and CoV point distance to global UCS point (in X/Y/Z distance)

enefy
Observer

It's a only weak point of Fusion 360.

For the luck of ability to calculate Moments of Inertia and Center of Gravity,  I requires the other tools....

cybanical
Explorer

I just went through all the tutorials, excited to switchover from SW, and then realized I need mass properties for our robotics applications. We take the mass and inertia properties of our mechanical designs and plug them into the inertia matrices of our controllers. Without those properties I can't switch to Fusion - even though there are a lot of other great properties that seem helpful for mechanical design.

Anonymous
Not applicable

A needed feature in fact. I would also add planar properties. It should be possible to get the area, centroid and moments of area of a face. It is very useful for some applications

Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed, loop length isn't that helpful to me, I need mass properties, and total mass for selected parts, or complete assemblies, even if a generic place holder was there for now I could convert. Example: If all the objects in the Fusion 360 world had a mass of 1gram per cubic cm, and I knew the total mass was 37.8grams....and my material weighed 1.7 times that per cm^3....I could do the rest....)

Mass being related to volume though and once you have one you have the other, might be the hang up....it's not a single feature it's really two we are asking for.

I'm super impressed with Fusion 360 so far, love teaching it to everyone I encounter, totally willing to wait and very appreciative of all the awesome features updated so far....especially on the assembly alignment side of things.

Anonymous
Not applicable

These features still haven't been implemented in Fusion 360. For UAV applications and most mechanical engineering applications, these features are very important.

This was the most surprising feature missing from Fusion 360 when I transitioned from Solidworks and should be added to the program, I can think of many times that I have used this feature in Solidworks.

AD - There should be a way to migrate the +17 from the other thread over to this one (or that should be reopened)

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Thank you for your idea, this has been changed to future consideration.  The idea is in our backlog and will be accepted when work gets started.

Cheers,

Mike Prom

jaypalm1
Explorer

Just checking, but these abilities (finding center of mass/gravity, moment of inertia, etc) are still unavailable in Fusion 360? I really need them and might need to switch programs if need be!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report