Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Absolute Coordinate system

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
petrikas.m
3440 Views, 16 Replies

Absolute Coordinate system

My suggestion would be to implement some sort of an absolute coordinate system. 
The key points would be:
1. Having a X:0 Y:0 Z:0 point

2. Having an option to use the coordinate system when transforming/moving an object/feature/point/sketch

3. Having an ability to measure any point in space to retrieve its coordinates

I attached an example of how it looks like in Autodesk 3dsmax.

Cheers!

@MPetrikas
Tags (1)
Labels (2)
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
samenor
in reply to: petrikas.m

This would be useful for us.

Message 3 of 17
schneik-adsk

Kevin Schneider
Message 4 of 17
osmithyman

This is really important when it comes to CAM, because I need to precisely position my model relative to my stock, the origin of which defaults to the center of the grid in Fusion 360. The workaround right now is to create a sketch, which allows me to snap to grid coordinates that happen to be where I need the center of my model, then extrude the sketch, then do a point-to-point move where I move the center point of my model to the corner of the sketch that snapped to the point I needed. It works, but it would be nicer if I could just select my model and type in 0.5, 0.5, 0 for the xyz values. There clearly is a coordinate system, but having direct access to it would help me a lot.

Message 5 of 17
promm

@petrikas.m,

In our move command you can now transform using X, Y and Z.  Does this meet the needs of your idea?

Screen Shot 2016-04-26 at 10.50.48 AM.png 

Regards,

Mike Prom

Message 6 of 17
promm

Message 7 of 17
litkefamily99
in reply to: promm

I've been wondering the same thing about absolute coordinates. I think what  he is asking about is the ability to set or have a preset origin point, and that you can view and change the x, y, and z distances of any object from this point, and that those values defined the position of the object in the 3d space. If I'm not being clear enough, tinkercad's ruler tool is a perfect example of this. So far, I can't seem to find an equivalent tool or setting in fusion, and I think it would really benefit from it, to the point of it being almost essential, at least from my perspective as someone who came from using tinkercad first. 

Message 8 of 17
CB1220F
in reply to: litkefamily99

I agree that there should be an absolute movement option.

For example, how can I move this box from it's current location to (absolute) X6, Y3, Z12 using the available move options?

move.PNG

Message 9 of 17
promm
in reply to: CB1220F

@CB1220F,

We are looking into adding the ability to add a joint to the origin with x, y, and z offsets.  This would provide a solution to the workflow of having a relationship to the absolute origin.  What are you thoughts on this workflow?

Regards,

Mike Prom

Message 10 of 17
TrippyLighting

Create a sketch with a point located (dimensioned) at the desired absolute coordinate and align the part to it and take a snapshot.

Then you can delete the sketch, or add more points for  more parts to be positioned.

Peter Doering
Message 11 of 17
HughesTooling

@tm-X wrote:

I agree that there should be an absolute movement option.

For example, how can I move this box from it's current location to (absolute) X6, Y3, Z12 using the available move options?

If you're using components you could create a joint origin and use a joint to move the component. Done like this you can go back and edit the join origin and the position of the box will update.

Clipboard01.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 12 of 17
CB1220F
in reply to: promm

@promm  There should be a simple relative/absolute toggle, just like a cnc mill would have.

TrippyLighting  Align seems to rotate the component to the plane the point was created on on.

@HughesTooling  Not quite following you, where would I position the joint?  it seems like the joint origin would need to be twice the distance in every axis to make the part act like it's being moved from 0,0,0

Relative moves can be handy, but my mills are in absolute 99.9% of the time.

Message 13 of 17
HughesTooling

Make a joint origin and select the document origin as the base point. My picture above shows an absolute distance from the document origin.

Clipboard01.png

Mark

Edit sample file attached, try selecting the joint origin in the timeline and editing it's position. The box will go back to it's original position while editing but when you click OK it will go to the new position.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 14 of 17
CB1220F
in reply to: HughesTooling

@HughesTooling,

Thanks for the file, I see what your saying now.  My origin bulb was off and I couldn't snap from 0,0,0 for the joint origin.

This method still rotates the component to match the new joint origin's plane, unlike a move command, which will move the part without changing the orientation.

Message 15 of 17
HughesTooling

Have you got a screen grab or sample file. If you activate a component you can create another joint origin in the component and with the use of Reorient you have a lot of flexibility to work with. I know this will take a bit longer to setup but at least you can go back and have full control over repositioning if you need to.

Clipboard01.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 16 of 17
CB1220F
in reply to: HughesTooling

@HughesTooling,

Take the simple box component you created, rotate it in any axis using the move command, and then try moving it with the joint origin method.  

The box component will move to the correct location, but it rotates the box component so that the joint buttons align planar. 

I don't have a screen recorder on this computer, but I will load one if needed.

Message 17 of 17
HughesTooling

If you create a joint origin in the component, select the base point then tick Reorient then pick the Z and X axis of the document origin it will not rotate when you add a joint.

Clipboard01.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report