Flow Design Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Flow Design Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Flow Design topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flow Design Resolution vs. Simulation CFD

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
joetomski
3307 Views, 3 Replies

Flow Design Resolution vs. Simulation CFD

Hi,

I'm new to flow design, but have been using Simulation CFD for a few years.  How would you compare the accuracy of the results in Flow Design to the Simluation CFD software?  

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Royce_adsk
in reply to: joetomski

Hi Joe,

That is a very interesting question.  

The two key areas that you would want to compare would be the Cd values from Flow Design which would be complemented by the wall results force calculator from Simulation CFD.  Then the other area I would start would be more qualitative with looking at the flow profile itself.  Where is the detachment, how long is the wake, what is the frequency of the wake, etc.

With that in mind, that hasn't been something that I have really explored.  Flow design accuracy was studied for its own merits againts standard geometry sets with publish Cd values.  Comparing the results from Simulation CFD and Flow Design might be interesting, but in the end what does that provide you?

Best regards,

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Message 3 of 4
joetomski

Thanks for the reply.  The reason for my quesiton is I'm trying to determine which software would provide more-accurate results in a wind tunnel test environment.  I have access to both types of software, so I'm just hoping for some info on which one would be the best choice to be using. 

Message 4 of 4
Royce_adsk

Depends on what stage you are in your design process.

If you are looking to examine rough designs/dirty cad (study the what if's) and you don't have time to prepare to use in Simulation CFD then Flow Design is great to get an idea of what is going on.  This will get you quick results that are probably within about 20-25% accurate in regards to Cd.  As the recent post suggested with the formula car you need to keep your mesh resolution in mind so that that necessary geometry is modeled.  The user did a great job realizing what he was seeing was incorrect, but has since resolved it by adding more resolution.

If you are looking to really study a wind tunnel analysis in depth with more accuracy and more ability to extract quantitative vs. qualitative data then I would suggest Simulation CFD.

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report