cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display DWG overly in Inventor drawing

Display DWG overly in Inventor drawing

Would like the ability to deplay the DWG overlay in the Inventor drawing. 

Also would like to able to create dimensions relative to the dwg overlay.

I believe this is a key feature missing from the factory design suite. This would allow me to present one drawing file that contains all the 2D and 3D representations.

22 Comments
XuesongBai
Alumni

Hi there,

Thank you for raising up the concerns.

We don't have the straightforward way to deplay DWG overaly in Inventor drawing. We will consider the function in the furture.

By the way, could you recreate the dwg by projecting the 3D asset models in Inventor drawings?

Thanks,

-Xuesong

pabethell
Contributor

I'm not sure I understand your last question.

The issues is that the DWG overlay that's used in a factory layout is not available to be projected when creating an inventor based layout drawing.

XuesongBai
Alumni
I mean that "Syncing Inventor" from AutoCAD places their 3d counterparts in the Inventor layout . You can cteate the Inventor drawing based on the 3D Inventor layout. Is it acceptable? Any way, we will consider the function of attaching ACAD DWG in Inventor drawing. Thanks, -Xuesong
pabethell
Contributor

I'd like to be able to creat one drawing file that has an isometric view show the 3D assets and also a top down view like autocad.

Skadborg.NTI
Advocate

Come on - fix it. We have asked for it since the very first release of Inventor Factory.

EVERY time we demo Factory for customers, this question comes up. The lack of this feature has prevented many sales of Inventor Factory. A drawing without the building is useless.

jostroopers
Collaborator

We also work with 2D drawing of the building as underlay and place the 3d models on it.

Then we want to see both in de inventor dwg or idw.

ThomasT1976
Enthusiast

What is the point with FDS if you can't do this? You can't show the building when making 2D's in Inventor and you can't show the machines (side-view) when doing a section in Autocad Architecture because they are flat?!?

We spend a LOT of money in FCS in my firm and now we are almost back to basic. I'm very dissapointed.

jparts
Participant

I totally agree with the other comments. We always use AutoCAD architecture to create the building, but then we have to convert it to a SAT file and then import it again in Inventor. We need to do this because the position of our equipment is always related to the contours of the building. When we create assembly drawings for our Service Engineers we always need to add dimensions to the drawing which explains the position of the machine to the walls.

Although this is not a perfect way of working it would be more or less acceptable if the building wouldn't change, but in our business, buildings change ALL THE TIME. Rooms are added, walls are added, walls are removed etc. etc. This means that we have to update the building in AutoCAD Architecture (but that's ok), but then need to convert it again, remover the old building in Inventor, import the new building in Inventor and pray to GOD that the dimensions survived (which is as you might expect not always the case).

Adding functionality in Inventor so it recognizes an AutoCAD Architecture building without the need to convert it would be a MASSIVE improvement in Factory Design Suite!!!

Best regards,

Joris

mk92
Collaborator

This function would be great! To reconstruct the things you need in 3D takes too long in the most cases! It costs a lot of time and money! 

XuesongBai
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review

XuesongBai
Alumni

XuesongBai
Alumni

Hi jparts and others,

We are investigating the solution now. Are you creating the section views including ACA buildings for the factory layout in Inventor drawings?

And are the contours of ACA buildings like Walls, columns enough in Inventor drawings?

Thanks,

-Xuesong

jparts
Participant

Hi Xuesong,

yes we use the building in our section views. In our layouts the position of the equipment and it's relation to the building is always very important. If I speak for ourselves the building contours as you describe would be enough as long as it will also show the openings in the wall as well. So I mean the holes in the walls where doors, windows etc. are located. The hole itself is enough, to see the door would be nice but not necessary. I would even remove the doors later to be able to create a walk-through animation in Navisworks,

Best regards,

Joris

XuesongBai
Alumni

Hi Joris,

Thank you for the quick response.

Right now in FDS 2017, as a workaround,you can import the DWG into a part and then insert the part into factory layout in Inventor. Finally, you can display the DWG overlay in Inventor drawing.

Any way, we are considering the seamless workflow in factory layout and Inventor drawing.

Thank you,

-Xuesong

mk92
Collaborator

Hi jparts and Xuesong,

i totally agree with jparts in any cases! The possibility to create the dimensions to the Building is totally necessary! BUT in addition to this it is very important to have the possibility to measure between the DWG Overlay and the 3D assets. For exactly the same reason, the relative position to the Building is important for every layout!

Thanks!

XuesongBai
Alumni

Hi mk92,

Yes, The measure between DWG overlay and the 3D asset is also in our plan. Thank you for arising up the requirement.

Thanks,

-Xuesong

XuesongBai
Alumni

XuesongBai
Alumni

XuesongBai
Alumni
Status changed to: Accepted

XuesongBai
Alumni
Status changed to: Implemented

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report