cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a a factory asset library for 3ds Max Design

Create a a factory asset library for 3ds Max Design

Autodesk,

The Factory Asset Warehouse is a great tool to locate assets for AutoCAD and Inventor.

I feel an area has been overlooked – assets for 3ds Max Design.

Videos promote how useful 3ds Max Design is to animate the factory layout, but it is a tedious process to build bones and linkages to animate robots and similar equipment.

Wouldn't’t it be great if a user could browse the warehouse to find a fully rigged robot, fork truck, crane, or other factory asset and just drop it into 3ds Max Design? This could save a lot of time for users new to 3ds Max Design.

I welcome your feedback.

Regards,

Jerry

4 Comments
XuesongBai
Alumni

Hi Jerry,

Thank you very much for raising up the requirement here. We will consider the interoperability between in 3ds Max and Factory Asset Warehouse. So far, I think you can drag and Drop the 3D assets into Inventor and then send the Inventor assembly file into 3ds Max for the downstream animation.

Thanks,

-Xuesong

JBerns
Advisor
Xuesong,

Thank you for the feedback.

True, you can drop an asset into Inventor and then send it to 3ds Max, but those are extra steps. Also, the Inventor assembly constraints are lost during the transfer to 3ds Max. Users are required to link, constrain, or rig the assembly back together. It would be great if a library existed of fully rigged or constrained equipment for 3ds Max.

Better yet, maintain or convert the Inventor constraints/joints into 3ds Max equivalents.

Best regards,
Jerry
pabethell
Contributor

I think the best would be to maintain or convert the Inventor constraints. As the original layout will most likely always be created in inventor.

electrotoast_old
Community Manager

I thought I'd follow up on this as there's been two initiatives recently to potentially resolve this. 

1st, in 3ds Max 2016 (No more design or entertainment), you can import Inventor Constraints. See Jose's AREA blog post here: https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/joseelizardo/3ds-max-2016-inventor-constraints-and-start-up-template...

2nd, we recently released the 3ds Max Asset Library on the App Exchange here: https://apps.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com:autodesk3dsmaxass...

Give them a shot and let us know what you think.

-Chip

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report