cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically Create Asset Tags

Automatically Create Asset Tags

All,

Would it be possible to add functionality to automate the creation of asset tags.  For example if I have a sequence of items, like a conveyor line, I would like to add asset tags to each one and apply serial numbers.  However, it is quite cumbersome to have to add asset tags to each one.  It would be great if I could select on an item, say a component "Base:1" and then apply asset tags to each member of the family (Base:2, Base:3, etc.). 

My initial thoughts would be to create a special workpoint / connector, to attach the asset tag, on each published asset.  Then the command could be launched and a prefix could be assigned (maybe have the project number first, then the serial number) and Inventor would then go through each occurrence of the part and apply the next asset tag to it.  If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.  Hope all is well and have a most blessed night!

Peace,

Pete

2 Comments
SveinnIngi
Contributor

Hey Pete,

Could you use the Descriptor for that purpose? I'm using it to display the layout number (position in layout) and something similar to a serial number. Then this simple iLogic rule:

Factory_Descriptor = PositionInLayout &" " &MCode

Where I manually write the layoutnumber but the code is dependent on the configuration.

Hope I understood correctly.

All the best!

mk92
Collaborator

In general it would be nice to have the Option to place some descriptors with custom tests at an asset to shot it in the IDW top view of the layout. Something like weights, heights or BOM-Numbers etc. So we don't need to place them all manually.

Kind regards.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report