cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asset Tags in Inventor Drawings

Asset Tags in Inventor Drawings

All,

I am working on document factory layouts in the Inventor drawing environment, but have hit a snag.  The drawing environment is great for creating my plan, iso and side views, but I don't seem to be able to bring the Asset Tags (haven't tried Descriptors yet) into the drawing environment.  Can we add this functionality into the drawing environment to save time having to relabel the components?  This could either be placed near the asset, like in the AutoCAD sync'd file, a property in a text box pull down or even something that could be placed into a parts list.  If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.  Hope all is well and have a most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

5 Comments
hkempeneers
Advocate

@petestrycharske 

Hi Pete,

We struggle with exactly the same problems.
What we do now is write a code (with iLogic) in the Custom iProperties of the assets. This iProperty can be retrieved in 2D using a text-note.
It is essential here that every asset is unique, which they are not despite the silly long code that they come with as standard.

How we solved that is a long story that I will not tire you with here and now.

Grtz.

michael.harbove
Contributor
@hkempeneers This is something I am desperate to figure out now, as I have a job I am trying to detail where I need to account for our internal asset tag, our customer's asset tag, and keep a unique instance of each factory asset. How were you able to accomplish this?
petestrycharske
Advisor
I've created a workaround method and you can view the YouTube link here: https://youtu.be/RjHoItFo5aE
hkempeneers
Advocate
@petestrycharske Thank you for sharing your workaround! (Sorry for the late response, I was out for vacation.)
michael.harbove
Contributor
Based off the workarounds I've been hearing and hearing people speak of, I assume there is no real way to have the exact configuration of a factory asset but with a different "asset number" in separate factory assemblies. Basically there must always be a separate instance of a factory asset where key parameters are different.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report