FMDesktop

Contributor
josrios
Message 11 of 41 (215 Views)

Re: Polylining and BOMA Standard

02-06-2007 04:14 PM in reply to: josrios
Hi

THe thing with FM or CAFmM is that is almost new grounds for Autodesk. And the core of CAD users don't deal with CAFM. so now with all this new era of FMD I hope AU to include something this year. I've never been at an AU seminar or convention. I hope I can make it this year. I'm also planing something with FMD, but I want a trial demo. My company is under a cost control program, but at the same time we are going on SAP /ERP and i have to wrok something to improve our actual CAFM system, Facility Center.
Contributor
pajamabob
Message 12 of 41 (215 Views)

02-06-2007 07:52 PM in reply to: josrios
All great discussions here. The bottom line is this...

If your drawings are already polylined for use in another CAFM system, no need to redo the work. FMDesktop can use what you have swimmingly. FMDesktop can work with AutoCAD, ADT and Revit, so choose your weapon.

As for AU...

One of my favorite places in the world to talk with facility professionals is AU. This year was a good preview of what you can expect for improvements in the Facilities track. More content, more training, more professionals, and yes...more FMDesktop!

Back on polylines for a minute...I would love to hear more about what works best. The spaces in ADT are very powerful, but can be complex. They are actually five separate polyamines that comprise a space object. Would a two component object (gross and net) be sufficient for most facility professionals?
Contributor
josrios
Message 13 of 41 (215 Views)

02-07-2007 05:37 AM in reply to: josrios
I agree that spaces in ADT are very powerful and holds a lot of useful information. And we all know that the more information we have, the more precise we can be. For example, Spaces can give you information on heights and volume, this is great information for storage needs, also wall areas, useful for finishes estimates. But we have to go then to the industry standard practice. What is practical?, Vs. What is superb? I think that for a first step, and for most FM issues, bi-dimensional information is enough to do a great job. For that purpose, I don't see a big difference between p-lining or using space boundaries in terms of the manual entry of vector points. This is taking in consideration than when you use floor measuring standardsa as IFMA or BOMA you have to work around the boundaries of a spaces depending on its calsification. If you want to go CAFM today, My recommendation will be to go with spaces. You can use all that data as you wish by manipulating your DB and producing reports. If you need is just gross and Net area, you can get that from a the space object too. If you wish to change that in the future, just use your extra powerful data to take you beyond the standard practice. It is also about where you are standing with you actual FM software. In my case, with 1.5M SqFt. of p-lines, theres nothing much to do. But if I have a tool with the capability of handling more than bi-dimensional data, you bet I will go with better information with space objects. I want to add that not all CAFM software offers fields in their DB records to obtain all the data provided by objects. And most of them are designed to work with p-lines. Can Archibus handle ADT spaces?
*Wanderer
Message 14 of 41 (215 Views)

02-07-2007 05:54 AM in reply to: josrios
AU had their first FM-specific courses back in 2004. Each year they add
a little bit more.
http://mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/2006/11/au2006-keys-to-successful-cafm.html
ah, I did write it down...
""This year at AU, there were 11 FM specific courses with a 71% signup
increase over last year. More than 500 individuals registered for the
various courses.
I've heard through the grapevine ~shifty eyes~ that if there are enough
good course proposals, that next year there could be a full Facilities
Management Track (16 courses). I've got my fingers crossed.""

So, there ya go.

Of course 2006 was the first year that there were any FM Desktop
classes, I'm asking for LABS! next year as they were all lectures this year.

I would STRONGLY STRONGLY STRONGLY recommend going to AU. You'll be
taught by the best in the business with less expense than going to a
local center for training AND you get to hand-pick your classes. And
this year the FM group was bigger than ever and I had SUCH a great time
pumping them for info. I hardly even saw my husband all week since he
was doing AutoCAD classes and working the Exhibit hall. So, yes,
something going on at all times. There was even a little private
reception for the FM'ers before the General Building reception one
night. That's enough to make you feel special right there. :smileywink:

I'm afraid I don't know what SAP/ERP is and know less than nothing about
Facility Center. :-)

I was told they don't have demos freely available because it's such a
recent acquisition that there are no licensing controls built into the
program yet.

Have you spoken with a reseller about getting some facetime with the
product? Personally, if I get FMD, I can't go through my current
reseller because they aren't handling it yet, but, there is a bigger
firm in town that's been answering all of my questions and provided me
with a quote, etc. :-)

Melanie Perry
***not all who wander are lost***
http://mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com

josrios wrote:
> Hi
>
> THe thing with FM or CAFmM is that is almost new grounds for Autodesk. And the core of CAD users don't deal with CAFM. so now with all this new era of FMD I hope AU to include something this year. I've never been at an AU seminar or convention. I hope I can make it this year. I'm also planing something with FMD, but I want a trial demo. My company is under a cost control program, but at the same time we are going on SAP /ERP and i have to wrok something to improve our actual CAFM system, Facility Center.
*Wanderer
Message 15 of 41 (215 Views)

02-07-2007 05:58 AM in reply to: josrios
well, PjBob... about spaces... I'm thinking they're promising because
they have dimensions in 3D. I'm assuming that ALL comes into FMD? (I
haven't had time to try it yet).

I'm going to be using this for *Systems* Management before I do for
Asset Management, so the ability to see the volume of all spaces served
by a specific AHU 'zone' would be something I wouldn't want to give up.

oh, yeah, and let me show my noobness... what's a polyamine?

thanks. :-)

Melanie Perry
***not all who wander are lost***
http://mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com

pajamabob wrote:
> All great discussions here. The bottom line is this...
>
> If your drawings are already polylined for use in another CAFM system, no need to redo the work. FMDesktop can use what you have swimmingly. FMDesktop can work with AutoCAD, ADT and Revit, so choose your weapon.
>
> As for AU...
>
> One of my favorite places in the world to talk with facility professionals is AU. This year was a good preview of what you can expect for improvements in the Facilities track. More content, more training, more professionals, and yes...more FMDesktop!
>
> Back on polylines for a minute...I would love to hear more about what works best. The spaces in ADT are very powerful, but can be complex. They are actually five separate polyamines that comprise a space object. Would a two component object (gross and net) be sufficient for most facility professionals?
Contributor
josrios
Message 16 of 41 (215 Views)

02-07-2007 06:42 AM in reply to: josrios
Hello!

This forum is getting very interesting. I'm working with a local dealer. My contact is getting in touch with Autodesk. He think maybe he can adquiere a license for me so I can work around FMD. This dealer is not into FM, but I think there is always a posibilty of a new sale. What I dont like is to feel compromised on doing an adquisition in the future.

About SAP/ERP

For the big enterprise, SAP (DB managemnet and fierest Oraccle Competitor) offeres tons of financial solutions.Contract management, tracking of internal transactions between units and departments, etc. These ERP (Enteprise Resources Planning) tools is a business management system that integrates all facets of the business, including planning, manufacturing, sales, and marketing. As the ERP methodology has become more popular, software applications have emerged to help business managers implement ERP in business activities such as inventory control, order tracking, customer service, finance and human resources. The thing is that all the operations of the enterprise are made under a roof, in a facility. So space data is a most. ERP tools are including some space tables to relate properties with buildings, rooms, departments and personel alocation, asset management,etc. very similar to CAFM. But in depth, ERP is not CAFM so the best practice is to integrate your current FM system with the new ERP so ERP can obtain all space information from CAFM. This can gets as comlpex as you like because now everything wil be measured, more than ever, in dollars and cents. Is very hard for me to get a view in where both systems overlaps. This friday I will have a Meeting with the SAP ERP people to debate if ERP should replace CAFM, and of course I'm against that. I will let you know!

Facility Center was pregrine flag ship CAFM software. Then it passed to Tririga wish has a join venture with Autodesk for the Hospitality Iindustry( I dont have the details about this). I have a feeling about something happening between Tririga and Autodesk in the future, but I will keep that for me.
Contributor
pajamabob
Message 17 of 41 (215 Views)

02-07-2007 06:37 PM in reply to: josrios
So...

More data from spaces, and, maybe the BIM model too! Sounds interesting... :-)
Contributor
josrios
Message 18 of 41 (215 Views)

02-08-2007 04:23 AM in reply to: josrios
Your right! Why not? BMI can bring important fixed assets information. One thing is for sure. I see FMers going from a backstage postiton to key excecutives in the future. As web based aplications brings to the spot light many facility related issues that were not that present years ago, the Facility Department and Corporate Real Estate gets a key importance in the organization strategic planning. We can expect then that CAFM and BMI will be discussed widely algon with ERP in business magazines.
Contributor
josrios
Message 19 of 41 (215 Views)

02-08-2007 04:28 AM in reply to: josrios
I mean BIM!
*Wanderer
Message 20 of 41 (215 Views)

02-08-2007 06:02 AM in reply to: josrios
good... cause Body Mass Index isn't one of my favorite topics.
;-p

josrios wrote:
> I mean BIM!

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community