Did you mean: 

About 3D in FM

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
Allerian
837 Views, 25 Replies

About 3D in FM

Greetings all -

I'm coming at this as someone who's used all the big name FM products daily for the last 15 years and a user of Autodesk's FM Desktop. Would anyone care to engage me on the topic: What value would there be in tying a 3D model to a production day to day Facility Management (Space, Occupants, Allocation, Assets) system such as FMD? I'd really like to develop my understanding.

Thanks,
-Robert
FM Desktop User's Group
http://www.fmdugi.org

Message was edited by: rburns
25 REPLIES 25
Message 21 of 26

lol... I'm all about making my position known.

This is funny... when I read josrios post earlier today and responded to it, I hadn't realized it was led from an older thread. It's amazing how much I have learned about FMD and ADT in the past few months... and yet I'm still digging and learning!

It will be an interesting pilot. I'm proposing just taking three concurrent floors from my campus and cramming in a WIDE variety of information... to show what FMD (and I 😉 ) can do, and give the uppers a chance to decide what would be worth pursuing.

I'm actually assigning space numbers now as part of a campus-wide rollout, so that part is prep at least. I'll assign departments (but, hold off on the cost codes themselves, as I don't have easy access to that database), zone some AHU, some sprinkler specs, some asbestos locations, some fire wall ratings, sprinkler standpipes (or vales? or something like that)... I've got to find something with electrical I can do, they've actually got a couple tech-savvy guys in their shop and I want to wow them and get them on board.

You're right that FMD is DARNED impressive with it's ability to work with the different drawing data sources... We're not likely to encounter Revit spaces anytime soon from any of our contractors, but, I'd like to mock something up anyway just to show myself how it works. 😉

Oh, if the pilot is approved, I'll be cross-grading to ADT to develop my spaces... I've got my reseller quote in hand already.

:-/ I would miss the cleanup options in MAP (my current production program). but.., c'est la vie.

Melanie Perry
***not all who wander are lost***
http://mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 22 of 26
josrios
in reply to: Allerian

We are at historical moment now. Autodesk is developing lots of 3D design software. So how we can apply the past to the present. I belive that in 1982 was the first release of AutoCAD. By that time there was a huge resistance to change the drawing table for the digital tablet. in the early 1990, almost 80 to 85% of the architects and designs professionals where using AutoCAD, and at the mid of 1990 AutoCAD was the only drafting method, along with other 2D software. The drafting table virtually has disappeared. Lets apply that learning to today's reality. ADT, released in late 90' s
main purpose was to introduce the 3D environment to the design process and, of course a faster construction document development. It's been 10+ years and I don't see every office using ADT. Or if they have it they are not exploding 100% ADT capabilities. Now we have Revit. I think AutoCAD is today's drafting table. Most of Autodesk product were running above the AutoCAD platform. That is a conform area for users. You use ADT as a powerful design tool with 3D, or use just exactly as plain AutoCAD. I think that Revit has a new mission. I see Revit as the future design tool. But the AutoCAD legend need to become something of the past. I don't know how, but it has to be. It is the only way to lead actual professionals to make the change. The future is in 3D...
Message 23 of 26
Anonymous

I don't think I have anything to add, just wanted to say that I totally
agree. 🙂

cheers!

Melanie Perry
***not all who wander are lost***
http://mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com

josrios wrote:
> We are at historical moment now. Autodesk is developing lots of 3D design software. So how we can apply the past to the present. I belive that in 1982 was the first release of AutoCAD. By that time there was a huge resistance to change the drawing table for the digital tablet. in the early 1990, almost 80 to 85% of the architects and designs professionals where using AutoCAD, and at the mid of 1990 AutoCAD was the only drafting method, along with other 2D software. The drafting table virtually has disappeared. Lets apply that learning to today's reality. ADT, released in late 90' s
> main purpose was to introduce the 3D environment to the design process and, of course a faster construction document development. It's been 10+ years and I don't see every office using ADT. Or if they have it they are not exploding 100% ADT capabilities. Now we have Revit. I think AutoCAD is today's drafting table. Most of Autodesk product were running above the AutoCAD platform. That is a conform area for users. You use ADT as a powerful design tool with 3D, or use just exactly as plain AutoCAD. I think that Revit has a new mission. I see Revit as the future design tool. But the AutoCAD legend need to become something of the past. I don't know how, but it has to be. It is the only way to lead actual professionals to make the change. The future is in 3D...
Message 24 of 26
josrios

I think that Tririga has a FM software that actualy can work with ADT and AutoCAD, bu not Revit.
Message 25 of 26
Allerian

Fascinating thread, always a hoot to read your own posts a few months later. I want to restate the original question to get a little more feedback:

What value would there be in tying a 3D model to a production day to day Facility Management (Space, Occupants, Allocation, Assets) system such as FMD? Provide examples.

-Robert
FM Desktop User's Group
http://www.fmdugi.org
Message 26 of 26
josrios

Simple:
i do not see an aditional benefit to what you do in a daily basis. But it will sure expand your options for other tasks as storage capacity and HVAC calculations and balance.

It willa lso help in calbe management. Lets say you want to run N amount of data cable over your roof tiles. Well, with a 3d model you can identify thoese areas with better ceilign heigth. i know that for most FM that ceiling height of each building is something of self awarenes but, think of others, a contractor, or supplier. you can give them exactl what they need. Or you can verify their as-builts Vs. your data base, etc... It can be as usefull as you want it to be.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report