Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

info to put in cafm system?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
977 Views, 6 Replies

info to put in cafm system?

I put together a list for my boss trying to pin down exactly what information we might want to record in a CAFM program... (please chime in with the info you record, and how useful it is...) Potential Information to be Gathered for Facilities Management Asset Survey Door Number Room Title Room Usage Dept Ownership Square Footage Ceiling Height Finishes Wall Type Finish Type/Color Base Type Flooring Ceiling Type Casework Countertop Materials Door(s) Door Material Door Size Door Special Function Windows? Lighting Electrical (# of to be incl?) Communications Equipment Misc Equipment Plumbing Equipment Med Gasses/Services Special HVAC ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ details and examples of categories Door Number CC-Ll-001 CM-01-001 Room Title Conference Room 'A' IDF 'QT 1' Plans Room Room Usage Conference Exam Reception Storage Support Treatment Utility Waiting Dept Ownership Square Footage Ceiling Height Finishes Wall Type Drywall Brick CMU Partition Folding Partition Plaster Cement Plaster Gypsum Finish Type/Color Fabric Vinyl Glazed (tile) Paint color/type Tan/Green/White/etc. Flat, semi-gloss, glossy Unfinished Base Type Ceramic Tile Rubber Tile Terrazzo Vinyl Flooring Carpet Tile Conductive Rubber Sheet Terrazzo Vinyl Sheet Vinyl Tiles Unfinished Ceiling Type Acoustical Adhesive Acoustical Conceal Acoustical Fire-Rated Acoustical Lay-in Drywall Cement Plaster Gypsum Plaster Unfinished Casework Custom P. Lam. Custom Steel Custom Wood Modular P. Lam. Modular Steel Modular Wood Countertop Materials Acid Resistant Corrosion Resistant Epoxy Resin Plastic Laminate Solid Surface Stainless Steel Door(s) Door Material Glass Hollow Metal P. Lam. Wood Door Size Door Special Function Closer Power Assist Hold Open Vision Panel Lock Key Code/deadbolt/pusbutton/multiple Windows? Lighting Fluorescent Incandescent Double-Switched Dimmable Incandescent High Intensity Discharge Under-Cabinet Task Light Indirect Special Illumination Level Other Electrical (# of to be incl?) 110v outlet 220v outlet Wiremold Emergency 110 Emergency 220 X-Ray - Portable Communications Telephone Computer Outlet Intercom Nurse Call Paging Phisiological Monitoring TV CCTV other Equipment Misc Equipment Chalk Board Coat Hooks Computer Copier Countertop Copier Floor Fax Machine Hood types Aux, recirc, ext vent, etc Printer Steam Bath Tack Board Dry-Erase Board Plumbing Equipment Flushing Rim Sink Counter Sink Cup Sink Electric Water Cooler Emergency Eyewash Emergency Shower Floor Drain Lavatory Mop Receptor Scrub Sink Shower Tub Urinal Water Closet Plumbing Controls Aerator Valve Conventional Diverter Valve Electric Eye Foot Gooseneck Hose Spray Knee Plaster Wristblades Plumbing Specialties Acid Handicapped Radioactive Vacuum Breaker Med Gasses/Services Oxygen Medical Suction Anesthesia Evac. Compressed Air Nitrogen Nitrous Oxide Natural Gas Deionized Water Chilled Water Hot Water Steam Special HVAC Positive Filtered Negative Isolation Special Environment Temperature Variance Humidity
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
bob
in reply to: Anonymous

Melanie,

Your listing a lot of potentially useful information, but... when an organization is deciding what information to capture in a survey like this, they need to keep in mind a few things:
1. short term benefit of the results (what, we are being audited?)
2. long term benefit of the results - either you want to archive the results or that part of the facility has little change or you have valuable assets to manage
3. on-going maintenance of the data - this is usually the kicker... managers think they really want the data but don't budget for the administrative cost of keeping the data relatively current. Once the data is out of date it is useless.
4. If the audit includes equipment or space that could benefit from a real preventative maintenance program, make certain that appropriate data is captured that would facilitate the PM setup

Bottom line is... don't bother capturing data that has little or no use to your bottom line.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

CAFMboss, thanks for the input. You bring up very valid points. I just shared the list because... well it was just gathering dust. I was asked to put together an exhaustive list of anything that we MIGHT want to track in a CAFM program, of course, noone from my company has even bothered looking at it. Anyway, the information gathered, of course, would be open to debate by all departments accesssing that data and assessing what they already track, who would actually be willing to pay for the the upkeep, etc. But, of course, we haven't made any further progress on hiring staff or utilitizing software... I'm sure the main things we'd benefit from with a program here would be ownership, room use/type, major equipment (now, would this include mechanical, clinical, electrical??? that's very open to debate), and most likely finishes. thanks for the feedback! much appreciated!!! "cafmboss" wrote in message news:2373814.1107526584582.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Melanie, > > You're listing a lot of potentially useful information, but... when an > organization is deciding what information to capture in a survey like > this, they need to keep in mind a few things: > 1. short term benefit of the results (what, we are being audited?) > 2. long term benefit of the results - either you want to archive the > results or that part of the facility has little change or you have > valuable assets to manage > 3. on-going maintenance of the data - this is usually the kicker... > managers think they really want the data but don't budget for the > administrative cost of keeping the data relatively current. Once the data > is out of date it is useless. > 4. If the audit includes equipment or space that could benefit from a real > preventative maintenance program, make certain that appropriate data is > captured that would facilitate the PM setup > Bottom line is... don't bother capturing data that has little or no use to > your bottom line.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

HA!
I *knew* posting this list would come in handy!!!

I've had about 3 computers since this time and long ago lost this little
summary here, but, recalled posting it. woohoo!

Anyway, *FINALLY* approved for a pilot here, and reporting on what I'm
about to do a survey on.

So, here's my modified list of what I plan on surveying in my pilot
(still awaiting my boss's feedback, it might change, it might not):

Data collected will be the following:
[items in brackets are from existing plans]

Department Ownership [ddd]
Room Usage
Public Room Numbers
Visible Static Equipment (location of FCU's, etc)
AHU that serves area [aaa]
Asbestos status [bbb]
Sprinkler Head Types [bbb]
Fire Alarm Pull Stations [ddd]
?Plumbing Stack locations? [aaa] (we have a survey of this from a couple
years back, would it be useful, you think?)

Will be brought over from plans:
Square footage
Plumbing fixtures
Elevators/Stairs/Columns
Door numbers

There will also be the ability to include the MEPFP CAD files in plan
view, just to demonstrate the ease of navigation.

Oh, and whether or not it matters, we will be doing our pilot with
FMDesktop (our company had purchased Archibus before my time, but, never
really did anything with it, and back in 2004, that was the program I
was evaluating for our project, but, never got the budgeting for. ~shrug~).

Cheers!

Melanie Perry
***not all who wander are lost***
http://mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com

melanie stone wrote:
> I put together a list for my boss trying to pin down exactly what information we might want to record in a CAFM program...
>
> (please chime in with the info you record, and how useful it is...)
>
> Potential Information to be Gathered for Facilities Management Asset Survey
>
> Door Number
>
> Room Title
>
> Room Usage
>
> Dept Ownership
>
> Square Footage
>
> Ceiling Height
>
> Finishes
>
> Wall Type
>
> Finish Type/Color
>
> Base Type
>
> Flooring
>
> Ceiling Type
>
> Casework
>
> Countertop Materials
>
> Door(s)
>
> Door Material
>
> Door Size
>
> Door Special Function
>
> Windows?
>
> Lighting
>
> Electrical (# of to be incl?)
>
> Communications
>
> Equipment
>
> Misc Equipment
>
> Plumbing Equipment
>
> Med Gasses/Services
>
> Special HVAC
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> details and examples of categories
>
> Door Number
>
> CC-Ll-001
>
> CM-01-001
>
> Room Title
>
> Conference Room 'A'
>
> IDF 'QT 1'
>
> Plans Room
>
> Room Usage
>
> Conference
>
> Exam
>
> Reception
>
> Storage
>
> Support
>
> Treatment
>
> Utility
>
> Waiting
>
> Dept Ownership
>
> Square Footage
>
> Ceiling Height
>
> Finishes
>
> Wall Type
>
> Drywall
>
> Brick
>
> CMU
>
> Partition
>
> Folding Partition
>
> Plaster Cement
>
> Plaster Gypsum
>
> Finish Type/Color
>
> Fabric
>
> Vinyl
>
> Glazed (tile)
>
> Paint color/type
>
> Tan/Green/White/etc.
>
> Flat, semi-gloss, glossy
>
> Unfinished
>
> Base Type
>
> Ceramic Tile
>
> Rubber
>
> Tile
>
> Terrazzo
>
> Vinyl
>
> Flooring
>
> Carpet
>
> Tile
>
> Conductive
>
> Rubber Sheet
>
> Terrazzo
>
> Vinyl Sheet
>
> Vinyl Tiles
>
> Unfinished
>
> Ceiling Type
>
> Acoustical Adhesive
>
> Acoustical Conceal
>
> Acoustical Fire-Rated
>
> Acoustical Lay-in
>
> Drywall
>
> Cement Plaster
>
> Gypsum Plaster
>
> Unfinished
>
> Casework
>
> Custom P. Lam.
>
> Custom Steel
>
> Custom Wood
>
> Modular P. Lam.
>
> Modular Steel
>
> Modular Wood
>
> Countertop Materials
>
> Acid Resistant
>
> Corrosion Resistant
>
> Epoxy Resin
>
> Plastic Laminate
>
> Solid Surface
>
> Stainless Steel
>
> Door(s)
>
> Door Material
>
> Glass
>
> Hollow Metal
>
> P. Lam.
>
> Wood
>
> Door Size
>
> Door Special Function
>
> Closer
>
> Power Assist
>
> Hold Open
>
> Vision Panel
>
> Lock
>
> Key Code/deadbolt/pusbutton/multiple
>
> Windows?
>
> Lighting
>
> Fluorescent
>
> Incandescent
>
> Double-Switched
>
> Dimmable Incandescent
>
> High Intensity Discharge
>
> Under-Cabinet Task Light
>
> Indirect
>
> Special Illumination Level
>
> Other
>
> Electrical (# of to be incl?)
>
> 110v outlet
>
> 220v outlet
>
> Wiremold
>
> Emergency 110
>
> Emergency 220
>
> X-Ray - Portable
>
> Communications
>
> Telephone
>
> Computer Outlet
>
> Intercom
>
> Nurse Call
>
> Paging
>
> Phisiological Monitoring
>
> TV
>
> CCTV
>
> other
>
> Equipment
>
> Misc Equipment
>
> Chalk Board
>
> Coat Hooks
>
> Computer
>
> Copier Countertop
>
> Copier Floor
>
> Fax Machine
>
> Hood types
>
> Aux, recirc, ext vent, etc
>
> Printer
>
> Steam Bath
>
> Tack Board
>
> Dry-Erase Board
>
> Plumbing Equipment
>
> Flushing Rim Sink
>
> Counter Sink
>
> Cup Sink
>
> Electric Water Cooler
>
> Emergency Eyewash
>
> Emergency Shower
>
> Floor Drain
>
> Lavatory
>
> Mop Receptor
>
> Scrub Sink
>
> Shower
>
> Tub
>
> Urinal
>
> Water Closet
>
> Plumbing Controls
>
> Aerator Valve
>
> Conventional
>
> Diverter Valve
>
> Electric Eye
>
> Foot
>
> Gooseneck
>
> Hose Spray
>
> Knee
>
> Plaster
>
> Wristblades
>
> Plumbing Specialties
>
> Acid
>
> Handicapped
>
> Radioactive
>
> Vacuum Breaker
>
> Med Gasses/Services
>
> Oxygen
>
> Medical Suction
>
> Anesthesia Evac.
>
> Compressed Air
>
> Nitrogen
>
> Nitrous Oxide
>
> Natural Gas
>
> Deionized Water
>
> Chilled Water
>
> Hot Water
>
> Steam
>
> Special HVAC
>
> Positive Filtered
>
> Negative Isolation
>
> Special Environment
>
> Temperature
>
> Variance
>
> Humidity
Message 5 of 7
shinji13098

What about technology equipment (desktop/laptop/server)? Do you record this information also?
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Not at all. 75% of the information I mentioned is actually recorded by
others. But, the others are shops within my departmental group.

We won't be recording things at all that belong to IT or
Telecommunications, Clinical Engineering, Patient Transport, Key Control
or others outside of the Facilities and Engineering group.

Keeping in mind this is only a Pilot first to solidify the uses and to
gain support from within my own group. Then, as time and staff are
allocated, we can look at bringing in the other groups.

The term 'information kingdoms' is brought up quite a bit in our field
for good reason. 😉

Melanie Perry
***not all who wander are lost***
http://mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com

shinji130 wrote:
> What about technology equipment (desktop/laptop/server)? Do you record this information also?
Message 7 of 7
robincapperw

Hi Mel, I'd take the other approach and take the global view scoping it to show how it can manage/impact all those other services. That way you can show the business benefit as a whole and even have a rational to challenge the silo mentality.

Then take that global view and only expose progressive implementation and what's applicable to the bus. unit you are dealing with and who's funding that part of the change.

Doing something like that, but not FM based, right now.

Robin
Autodesk AEC Collection 2020 - PC: HP Z6 | Win 10 64 | Xeon 3014 | 64 GB ram | Quadro P5000 - Tablet: Surface 3 Pro i5-4300u | Win 10 Ent 1703 64 | 8GB ram - Phone: Samsung S21 Ultra | Android 11
RobiNZ CAD Blog | LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report