Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building Systems for FM?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
1017 Views, 11 Replies

Building Systems for FM?

Just looking into the future and speculating a little. I have loved watching people work with Inventor and Revit, some very cool stuff with intelligence built into the drawing. I was very exicted to hear about the advent of the Building Systems products, and during the Revit mixer I attended 2 years ago, there was speculation that Revit could be used in for Facilities Management. Now, I am hearing talk of Revit having a suite with MEP capabilities (um, I think it might already be able to handle electrical stuff?). How soon will this be practical to use from an FM standpoint? Do/will they have viewers so that my mechanics could look stuff up at any pc without having to own Revit? How large of a building/facility will a file be practical for? Any thoughts, speculations, etc? I know something like this that would actually work is probably a few years off (not to mention getting all of the archived info into the working model and keeping it up to date), but, I am having fun thinking about it.
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

As far a viewing without revit goes...

DWF now allows for 3D viewing and it can also store DB and OD from map in the dwf file.

I think those are the components to solve your problem, but I don't know how DWF and Revit get along...

Jeremiah
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

Good point, and pdf now allows for 3d viewing.... but, I am hardly going to want to recreate all of my files in a second format (is the problem I am having now, adesk dropped voloview express in favor of dwf, and I switched to bentley view and am still hassling with getting it installed on everyone's machines), it isn't practical and I flat don't want to do it and don't think I should have to. ;) I don't know how revit does dwf either. I'm sure there will be interesting developments as they further develop intelligence within drawings. "JEREMIAHM" wrote in message news:6169492.1111618500843.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > As far a viewing without revit goes... > > DWF now allows for 3D viewing and it can also store DB and OD from map in > the dwf file. > > I think those are the components to solve your problem, but I don't know > how DWF and Revit get along... > > Jeremiah
Message 4 of 12
bhaines

Melanie and Jeremiah,

Revit Building 8 has excellent support of 3D .dwf. What is really nice about it is that you can create your 3D .dwf and open with Composer and navigate through all of the object data as well as all of the default views and user views from the original Revit drawing.

Clicking on an object name in the Composer navigation window highlights that object in the 3D view.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

cool to know... how is the object data shown?

wrote in message news:4888438@discussion.autodesk.com...
Melanie and Jeremiah,

Revit Building 8 has excellent support of 3D .dwf. What is really nice
about it is that you can create your 3D .dwf and open with Composer and
navigate through all of the object data as well as all of the default views
and user views from the original Revit drawing.

Clicking on an object name in the Composer navigation window highlights that
object in the 3D view.
Message 6 of 12
bhaines

Melanie,

Please see the attached image. Object lists are maintained in the left Composer Navigation window. When you select an object it highlights in the dwf viewing window and loads the details of the object in the left panel at the bottom as well.

-Brian
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

oooh, sweet... Thanks for the illustration... 🙂

wrote in message news:4888587@discussion.autodesk.com...
Melanie,

Please see the attached image. Object lists are maintained in the left
Composer Navigation window. When you select an object it highlights in the
dwf viewing window and loads the details of the object in the left panel at
the bottom as well.

-Brian
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

oh, wait, composer, you say? so, will the object data, etc be accessible via
the dwf viewer also?

wrote in message news:4888438@discussion.autodesk.com...
Melanie and Jeremiah,

Revit Building 8 has excellent support of 3D .dwf. What is really nice
about it is that you can create your 3D .dwf and open with Composer and
navigate through all of the object data as well as all of the default views
and user views from the original Revit drawing.

Clicking on an object name in the Composer navigation window highlights that
object in the 3D view.
Message 9 of 12
bhaines

Melanie,

I use Composer but I went ahead and tried in the regular .dwf viewer and it worked as well.

-Brian
Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

sweeet... just have to double-check, you know... 😉

wrote in message news:4888754@discussion.autodesk.com...
Melanie,

I use Composer but I went ahead and tried in the regular .dwf viewer and it
worked as well.

-Brian
Message 11 of 12
robincapperw

Revit, ADT and ABS all support export of 3d objects to DWF.
ADT & ABS export all (or selected) object property set data so if you have any extended data that goes too.

Revit does the same but I haven't figured out how to control what Revit exports.

Eg: ADT or ABS allow you to create a list of property sets to export. Even if others are there they will be ignored if not in the list. Quite good for ABS users to filter out the ADT property info they don't require. ADT/ABS also have the choice to group objects by xref or not in the resulting "tree"

In a DWF all that property data is stored as XML so there is potential for other XML aware app's to use it also.

Robin
Autodesk AEC Collection 2020 - PC: HP Z6 | Win 10 64 | Xeon 3014 | 64 GB ram | Quadro P5000 - Tablet: Surface 3 Pro i5-4300u | Win 10 Ent 1703 64 | 8GB ram - Phone: Samsung S21 Ultra | Android 11
RobiNZ CAD Blog | LinkedIn
Message 12 of 12
Mistress0fTheDorkness

Alright, so, Revit Systems now has it's own forum! Let the speculation begin...

http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=461868

I've heard that the revit demo could be used as a standalone viewer? is this true? can I have someone install on their machines so they can just look at the files?
(going back to the thought that I don't want duplicate files/filetypes for every dwg err... rvt? file i'd be working on)

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report