Community
FBX Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FBX Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FBX topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble using FBX SDK to export fbx files to other formats (3ds,dae,obj)

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
chriscalef
370 Views, 0 Replies

Trouble using FBX SDK to export fbx files to other formats (3ds,dae,obj)

Hi, I got into this because I'd like to be able to export models from my app into a format that is compatible license-wise with a GPL project I'm involved with. With FBX SDK being closed source, it appears that I need to use either 3ds or dae as the only (?) available formats that will include skeletal animation / vertex weights and still be GPL compatible. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of these points.)

Anyway, since I already have a C++ app that is not GPL and is using FBX SDK to load and save fbx files, I thought I would test out the supposed ability of FBX SDK to export to several other formats - specifically, it appears that dxf, obj, 3ds, and dae should be supported. (At least, when I call GetIOPluginRegistry()->GetNativeWriterFormat() for everything in my GetWriterFormatCount(), I get those names back.)

However, I have run through and attempted to use them all by calling lExporter-Initialize(...) with the proper format integer, and each time I get a different version of fbx file, sometimes binary, sometimes ascii, but always fbx, never obj, 3ds, dae or dxf.

I realize that they apparently have dropped support for 3ds after 2011 (sigh) but the fact that every format returns only fbx files makes me think I am doing something fundamentally wrong. Is there anything that must be done to set up the exporter for other formats besides simply initializing it with the correct format number?

Thanks,

Chris

0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report