Community
FBX Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FBX Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FBX topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FBX SDK 2013.x - Upcoming Major API Changes

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
RobertGoulet
1159 Views, 29 Replies

FBX SDK 2013.x - Upcoming Major API Changes

Hello everyone!

In the next major release of FBX (2013), we are planning a major change to the whole API. We are putting a lot of efforts to bring the API to a consistent level. Since the modifications are major, we wanted to let you know that your code calling FBX SDK API will most likely be broken upon upgrading to FBX SDK 2013.

What are we doing exactly?
- Renaming almost every class/structure of the FBX SDK to a consistent way.
- Moving enumerations inside classes.
- Grouping logical classes/functions together.
- Renaming file names and path names.
- Removing a lot of deprecated code.
- Exposing previously private classes.
- Unifying usage of internal classes.
- ...and many more small clean-up changes all over the place!

In this release, we will not have any deprecated calls, since this would mean the whole SDK would be deprecated. This also means a lot of functions or classes will not be available anymore, and sometimes without replacements. At some point we needed to look back and make some decisions about what the FBX SDK should offer. Decisions were mostly motivated by the fact that the FBX SDK has grown pretty large over time, and inconsistent in a way. This is ok, we've been working on it for almost two decades now. 😉

FBX 2013 will not be ready for a while still, we just wanted you to be aware of the upcoming major changes, and we hope to upload a build on the Beta boards eventually, thought I cannot provide any precise schedule. We are very excited with the API face-lift, and we hope you will all like the FBX SDK API rejuvenation we are working on for some time now!

If you have any questions or comments about this topic, please do not hesitate to ask below! Thank you!

-Robert Goulet
Robert Goulet, FBX Dev Lead
29 REPLIES 29
Message 21 of 30
Anonymous
in reply to: RobertGoulet

+1 for Python 3.2, I want to write an FBX importer for Blender,

the latest version comes bundled with 3.2,

checked out the latest SDK (2013.2), unfortunately still no Python 3.2 available.

It'd be much appreciated, thanks guys for the awesome SDK. 🙂

I second this. I'm not sure why the python SDK is only compiled for 2.6 and 3.1, but it would really be nice to have other versions, especially 3.2 for blender, yeah.
Message 22 of 30
RobertGoulet

+1 for Python 3.2, I want to write an FBX importer for Blender,

the latest version comes bundled with 3.2,

checked out the latest SDK (2013.2), unfortunately still no Python 3.2 available.

It'd be much appreciated, thanks guys for the awesome SDK. 🙂

Hi Sam,

It is true we haven't took the time to upgrade our supported Python versions for quite some time. Would you do me a favor and register yourself on the FBX Beta Site, and post your feature request there for everyone to see? That will help me track it and make this it happens in the near future.

I just visited the python website and they are about to release Python 3.3. Perhaps it would be better to upgrade the FBX Python SDK to Python 3.3 once its released?

Thank you!
Message 23 of 30
atmuc

I just visited the python website and they are about to release Python 3.3. Perhaps it would be better to upgrade the FBX Python SDK to Python 3.3 once its released?

Thank you!

blender uses 3.2 so 3.3 will not work with blender for the current release. it is better to compile it with both 3.2 and 3.3
Message 24 of 30
RobertGoulet
in reply to: Anonymous

We're going to upgrade Python 3.x support in the 2014 line. We don't have any dates for this yet.
Message 25 of 30
atmuc

Would you do me a favor and register yourself on the FBX Beta Site, and post your feature request there for everyone to see? That will help me track it and make this it happens in the near future.

how can we post feature request? will we use this site? http://beta.autodesk.com/
Message 26 of 30
RobertGoulet
in reply to: atmuc

There's a link on the left side that says "Feature Request".
Message 27 of 30
atmuc

i cannot see “Feature Request” link. there are Manage Platforms, Add Platform and Community Profiles links. should i register somewhere as beta user?
Message 28 of 30
RobertGoulet

If you are registered to the site beta.autodesk.com, then you can send an e-mail to fbxsdk at autodesk com to get added to the FBX project.
Message 29 of 30
Numerator

@albeif. You can have passwords on FBX files. That should prevent anyone from using/viewing your files.
Message 30 of 30
atmuc

it is ok now, thanks. i submitted the request.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report