Area :: Header
Interested in making Indie games?

Register for a Meet the Experts webinar with Digital-Tutors today!
Discussion Groups

FBX SDK

Austin Zhang

Can we assgin vertex normals only using eControlPoint mapping mode?

22 Views, 2 Replies
11-15-2012 05:13 AM
I want to map my normals to each polygon vertex by using eByPolygonVertex and eIndexToDirect, but I found when I import the genereated .fbx file into Maya,the normals on the vertices are not what I assgined to them, instead, those normals look like generated by Maya automatically.I don't think there's anything wrong with my code because I used the same way for UVs and they act very correctly.

Then I reorganized my data and did a test using eByControlPoint and eDirect mode, this time I see the correct normals on the vertices.

Can we only do this using eByControlPoint? It seems like the samples I checked are all using this mode for normals. But this won't fit my needs because I could have multiply normals on one control point.

Any help I'd really appreciate it.
Please use plain text.
Employee
RobertGoulet

Re: Can we assgin vertex normals only using eControlPoint mapping mode?

11-16-2012 11:15 AM in reply to: Austin Zhang
It is totally possible to set normals ByPolygonVertex, that is how they are also exported from Maya. But consider that if the mesh is connected to a skin, blendshape or anything that deforms it, they will get locked and Maya will recompute them upon import so they correctly draw.
Robert Goulet, FBX Dev Lead
Please use plain text.
Active Contributor
BornToCode

Re: Can we assgin vertex normals only using eControlPoint mapping mode?

11-29-2012 09:53 AM in reply to: Austin Zhang
You can duplicate the vertices for the all faces that needs to have their own normal.
Please use plain text.