Community
FBX Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FBX Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FBX topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3DS Model Fails to Convert

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
2860 Views, 5 Replies

3DS Model Fails to Convert

The attached 3DS model does not convert to FBX using the converter. I get an error saying "not enough parameters" and no file is created.

n050311.zip

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
gmxubuntu
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello Doug Rogers, I try to convert the file , and you are right, it cant be converted to fbx, but this issue is only with the 2013.2 Version of the converter, I try it with the 2012 version, and it converted successfully, from the code too, I think it is a bug in the 2013 version, hopefully not for all 3DS Files.
Message 3 of 6
gmxubuntu

I try to convert five Models from http://artist-3d.com/free_3d_models/04vehicles_design.php?s=28&srt=2 with the 2013 Converter and only two of the five were successful. The FBX Viewer 2013.2 could show all five , but it didnt convert the three ones.
Message 4 of 6
RobertGoulet

Have you tried to convert the file using the FBX SDK?
Robert Goulet, FBX Dev Lead
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: RobertGoulet

No, I have only tried using the converter. Does the FBX SDK read .3ds files? If so, then ViewScene could be used to read this file.
Message 6 of 6
RobertGoulet
in reply to: RobertGoulet

Of course! The FBX SDK can read/write FBX (5, 6 and 7), OBJ, 3DS and DXF files without external help. The converter is only a UI on top of the FBX SDK. By default, when you call FbxImporter::Initialize without specifying the file format, it will auto-detect which file format it is and instanciate the appropriate reader internally. So basically, you could try calling import, then export but with a file format of your choice. File formats can be retrieved using the GetIOPluginRegistry on the manager.
Robert Goulet, FBX Dev Lead

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report