Community
FBX Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FBX Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FBX topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Specular Blow up or maybe overly intense light in FBX Review issue

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
joshpurple
2275 Views, 12 Replies

Specular Blow up or maybe overly intense light in FBX Review issue

Hi All, 

I'm curious to find out what results people are having when exporting out of Max > .FBX files > where all settings are set to default (using default standard materials, no lights, gamma correction is off, etc. ) for the specular or lighting result in FBX Viewer.

My result in FBX Viewer looks like this;

If I use only the default gray color, then the specular / lighting seems to work normally.

Any RGB values added seem to create the specular issue.

Thanks for any feedback 🙂

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
joshpurple
in reply to: joshpurple

Quick update, after messing around & trying some different settings, it appears the default standard max material's Specular color has a very strong result on the specular in the FBX Review.

When I changed the material's specular color to black, or near black, the specular result in FBX Review was much better.

Message 3 of 13
RobertGoulet

This is a known bug and hopefully I can resolve it in FBX Review without having to change the FBX Max plug-in. If that's the case, it will be fixed in the upcoming FBX Review update. Thanks!

Robert Goulet, FBX Dev Lead
Message 4 of 13
RobertGoulet
in reply to: RobertGoulet

I was able to fix it in FBX Review 1.1, coming on the FBX beta board soon! 🙂

Message 5 of 13
joshpurple

Excellent 🙂 !  I appreciate it Smiley Very Happy

Looking forward to the new release.

Thank You!  

Message 6 of 13
jjb
Enthusiast

I just downloaded v1.1.0.0 and am having the same blast out issue on a texture mapped model made of a ski slope using Autodesk ReCap.  Do I need to change specular level in Max or can I change it in FBX Review?  Thanks!

Message 7 of 13
RobertGoulet
in reply to: jjb

The issue looks fixed on our side, can you provide your scene so we can take a look? Thank you.

Message 8 of 13
joshpurple

Excellent 🙂 , and congrats on getting FBX Review out!

I just downloaded it, installed it, and tested the sample files on it.  It worked great on the sample files, and I'm thrilled to see the excellent quality of the 'presentation' mode, animation, playback speed, -more!  I hope this is something that can be embedded into web sites for use in showing off portfolio pieces.  SketchFab is outstanding, but it doesn't have animation, & that makes FBX Review great 🙂 !

I then did a complete 'default' open & export of an FBX file using a 'clean' install of 3ds Max 2015 64bit.  Sphere > default standard material on > no lights in scene > export using FBX media & entertainment export setting (I left everything at it's default setttings, etc.).

In 3ds Max, the scene looked like this;

Captdfdfffure.JPG

I opened that FBX file in FBX Review v.1.1.0.0 , and it looked like this;

Capturdfdfdf009.JPG

Turning the light on and off in FBX Review did not change the lighting, facet mode was not showing facets, etc. -the full / blow out of the diffuse color seemed to override the different viewing modes (wireframe did work fine).

My apologies for any bother, I'm guessing I'm probably missing something basic in the settings.

Thank You for all of your time, help, and work on FBX Reveiw 🙂

Edit/p.s.;   Were the sample scenes all from Maya?  I'm just curious if I do an FBX export from Maya, if the shading will look like the sample scenes?

Thanks again!

Message 9 of 13
joshpurple

Quick follow-up 🙂 .   I did a default export out of Maya 2015 64bit, same deal as Max (sphere > lambert > export FBX, all defaults, etc.), and it worked great.  No blow-out, it looks pretty much the same in both Maya and FBX Review.

(with or without Gamma on / off, the FBX file coming from 3ds Max 2015 looks like it has no shading.  Maya's FBX file looks like the shading is working good).

Message 10 of 13
RobertGoulet

That is a good insight. Perhaps something is not getting properly set in the FBX file upon export from 3dsMax... Thanks for the feedback, I will try it out and let you know. My guess is that 3dsMax sets default material as one of those "consistent" material rather than the typical phong/lambert (or the newer Autodesk UberShader material).

Also, just letting you know, we have another release coming out soon, which will add support for iOS and MacOS platforms! We are also looking at the possibility to have it run in WebGL (HTML5) as well... but its only at the experimental level for now, playing around with it.

Message 11 of 13
joshpurple

Excellent, Thank You Robert 🙂 .

I did a little more messing with it, and it seems that the 'blow out' is caused by the default standard Max material's Ambient setting.  The default setting has the Ambient and the Diffuse color locked together.  When I unlocked the Ambient from the Diffuse, and set the Ambient Color to black, the view in FBX Review looked 'normal' (not blow out, -shading could be seen).

And, cool news 😄 !  Thank you for passing it along.  All my best!

Message 12 of 13
RobertGoulet

Yes, that's what I was afraid. It seems I cannot fix this in FBX Review because I have to respect the content of the FBX file itself. This will require a larger change at a different location. For now, I suggest you fix the material values manually until we do a proper fix in the 3dsMax plug-in. Sorry about that!

Message 13 of 13
joshpurple

Thank You Robert 🙂 !   I appreciate the fast reply.    And will do!

All my best!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report