Community
FBX Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FBX Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FBX topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fbx exported from Maya 2011 not working with XNA 3.1

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
499 Views, 3 Replies

fbx exported from Maya 2011 not working with XNA 3.1

We have been working with fbx files for our XNA based game over the past year or so. We have'nt have much troubles so far. Recently we received the 2011 update for Maya and tried to export our files. The fbx files do not work in XNA. They throw the following error,

Error 1 Building content threw AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.FbxImporter.Cleanup()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.FbxImporter.Import(String filename, ContentImporterContext context)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.ContentImporter`1.Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.IContentImporter.Import(String filename, ContentImporterContext context)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.BuildCoordinator.ImportAssetDirectly(BuildItem item, String importerName)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.BuildCoordinator.ImportAsset(BuildItem item)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.BuildCoordinator.BuildAssetWorker(BuildItem item)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.BuildCoordinator.BuildAsset(BuildItem item)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.BuildCoordinator.BuildAndLoadAsset(BuildItem item, BuildItem requestingItem)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.BuildCoordinator.ImportAssetViaCache(BuildItem item, String importerName)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.BuildCoordinator.ImportAsset(BuildItem item)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.BuildCoordinator.BuildAssetWorker(BuildItem item)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.BuildCoordinator.BuildAsset(BuildItem item)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.BuildCoordinator.RunTheBuild()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.Tasks.BuildContent.RemoteProxy.RunTheBuild(BuildCoordinatorSettings settings, TimestampCache timestampCache, ITaskItem[] sourceAssets, String[]& outputContent, String[]& rebuiltContent, String[]& intermediates, Dictionary`2& dependencyTimestamps, KeyValuePair`2[]& warnings) C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\Asset Cooker 3.1\Asset Cooker 3.1\Content\Testing\sphered.fbx Asset Cooker 3.1

We initially ignored it and continued development using 2010. Now we have a specific requirement due to which we need to use Maya 2011. Please help.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
viviane.rochon
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Avianch,

My guess is that you exported to FBX Version 2011 and it is possible that XNA doesn't support that version yet.

You could easily verify this by exporting from Maya to FBX Version 2010.

When exporting:
File Type Specific Options - Advanced Options - FBX File Format - Version:
Select "FBX 2010".

Regards,

Viviane, FBX Team

Viviane Rochon Montplaisir
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

I feel like a stalker. . .lol

Yes, I’ve seen that error more than once. My solution was to use the FBX Converter utility that I believe comes with the FBX SDK. I could be wrong though.

However, even after converting I am still getting bad results. It has put me at a standstill. I spent about two weeks debugging several “skinned” processors in an effort to track this down. When I saw a different type of error in ViewScene (part of the SDK) I started to suspect the Import / Export code.

The question is – where is that code? Is it included in each software package – Maya and MotionBuilder, or are they sharing a joint library – aka FBX SDK?
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

(This is a repost that might be useful to others here)

Finally I have a work around.

I had to roll back the plugin for Maya 2010 to FBX 2010.2 (I had 2011.2 installed)

I had to remove the end effectors from the heirarchy

I converted the MotionBuilder binary FBX file to ASCII

Then I import the MotionBuilder ASCII FBX file into Maya

Maya complains that there is no default bindpose (would like to know how to do this in MB)

Then I choose goto Bind Pose in Maya

Then I export the file with one animation (Maya bake animations option is set)

Then I manually copy the other takes from the original MotionBuilder ASCII FBX file into my target

After performing these steps the FBX animations work as expected in XNA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums