Community
FBX Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FBX Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FBX topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silent Install - FBX 2011.2

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
gregschleusnerhok
1276 Views, 2 Replies

Silent Install - FBX 2011.2

I can't seem to get the silent switch to work...

This is the documentation for the installer:

"Nullsoft Scriptable Install System
The Nullsoft Scriptable Install System (NSIS) is another open source installation system. It was created by the WinAmp authors to distribute that application, but it is now a general-purpose system which anyone might use.
When an NSIS installer runs, it creates a little window which says verifying installer: N%, where N counts from 0 to 100. So you can recognize these installers by this behavior. (Actually the verification procedure is optional, but most installers have it enabled. As an alternative, you can run "strings" and grep for "NSIS").
NSIS installers recognize /S for silent installation, /NCRC to suppress the CRC (verification) step, and /D=dir to specify the "output directory", which is where the program will be installed. These options are case-sensitive, so be sure to type them in upper case.
Incidentally, all /S does is change the installer script's SilentInstall attribute from "normal" to "silent". What effect this has, exactly, depends on the person who wrote the script. If /S does not perform a silent install, consider submitting a bug report to the installer's creator."
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hi Dozer77 !

After reading your post, I asked one of the developers to check into this, here is a cut-and-paste from his email reply to me:

(begin paste)
Not sure what it is that you tried to do and which installer we are talking about. I tried the followings and they all installed silently.

Fbx20112_fbxsdk_win /S /D=C:\temp\toto
Fbx20112_converter_win /S /D=C:\temp\tata
Fbx20112_maya2011_win /S /D=C:\temp\titi

Even if you do not specify the destination folder, all the installers are working silently and will install into their default directories. Perhaps the fact that 64/32 bit apps install to different installation folders could be the issue ?

The FBX SDK will always install in C:\Program Files\Autodesk\FBX\FbxSdk\2011.2
The FBX Converter is a 32 bit application so on 64 bit machines it will install in C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\FBX\FBXConverter\2011.2
And the plug-ins, will install ( on a 64 bit machine ) in both the specified destination folder (/D) and in C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\FBX\FbxPlugins\2011.2\Maya 2011 ( in the case of a 32 bit installation ) or C:\Program Files\Autodesk\FBX\FbxPlugins\2011.2\Maya 2011 ( in the case of a 64 bit installation )

Note that, with my example above about the Maya plug-in, the uninstaller will only be located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\FBX\FbxPlugins\2011.2\Maya 2011 or C:\Program Files\Autodesk\FBX\FbxPlugins\2011.2\Maya 2011

(end paste)

All that being said, we would like to know exactly what version of which plugin you are attempting to install in which version of which app on which OS, and how you are going about doing this ( the command line statement you are writing ).......otherwise we can only speculate as to what your problem is......

Please let us know if the info above helped to solve your problem, or provide us with the info requested above so we can help to get this working for you 🙂

Thanks in Advance for your Help !
- Damon
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Damon-QA

How can I get silent mode in MacOS, to a custom directory"?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report