Did you mean: 

Algorithm of Ecotect Anlysis

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
aru_s
1158 Views, 5 Replies

Algorithm of Ecotect Anlysis

Dear all,

Did anybody find any research paper on Ecotect? I mean PhD thesis or MS thesis?
What's the algorithm behind Ecotect? How reliable is it? Can the algorithm be compared with DOE 2.1e, ESP-r or Energy Plus?
Did anybody find any validation proof of this simulation tool? How reliable is it?
I am going to use it in my MS thesis, if I find a valid literature of this.
Thanks in advance.

Peace,
Aru
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
2john6
in reply to: aru_s

Hi,

You can check out the following page:

Validation of Ecotect Analysis
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=14576143&linkID=13734494

Published date: 2010-Feb-18
ID: TS14576143

Applies to:
Autodesk Ecotect 2009
Autodesk® Ecotect® Analysis 2011
Autodesk® Ecotect® Analysis 2010

Cheers,
John
Message 3 of 6
aru_s

Thank you much, John.

It is kind of helpful.
Since I am going to use Ecotect in my MS architecture thesis, I am wondering if there are any research paper has done over the algorithm of Ecotect? Is Ecotect based on BLAST, DOE-2, MoWiTT, ASHRAE or anything else?
How perfect are the results in Ecotect if you simulate a house with natural ventilation?

Best,
Aru
Message 4 of 6
aru_s

Thank you much, John.

It is kind of helpful.
Since I am going to use Ecotect in my MS architecture thesis, I am wondering if there are any research paper has done over the algorithm of Ecotect? Is Ecotect based on BLAST, DOE-2, MoWiTT, ASHRAE or anything else?
How perfect are the results in Ecotect if you simulate a house with natural ventilation?

Best,
Aru
Message 5 of 6
2john6

Hi Aru,

You may find the following articles from Andrew Marsh (Ecotect software author) on Natural Frequency interesting:

http://naturalfrequency.com/articles/10

Especcially have a read through the 'Making a Thermal Comparison' article which in short is all about how to understand 'accurate' results in Building Analysis software as Ecotect but also others out there.

One of the first things many people say when introduced to analytical software is -- "OK, but just how accurate is it?". The accuracy of analysis software is important, but in the case of a thermal analysis tool this is not a simple question to answer. This article discusses the many issues you must first consider before comparing measured thermal values against simulation results, not just in ECOTECT but in any thermal analysis tool. It also makes a case for concentrating on relative accuracy in simulation rather than absolute accuracy.

Goodluck with your thesis!
John
Message 6 of 6
aureaconsulting

You should also take a look at this post: [http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=103430] . It is more realistic than the page from Autodesk.
Regards,
Germán. Edited by: aureaconsulting on May 6, 2010 10:53 PM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report