Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air Flow Visualization

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
2768 Views, 11 Replies

Air Flow Visualization

Are there any plans to improve or restore the cfd (fluid dynamics) aspects of Ecotect?

WinAir is not available and FDS is not user friendly. I'm not sure if anybody has ever produced a satisfactory output with it for Ecotect. Check out this [link|http://www.case-inc.com/content/grimshaw-architects-miami-museum-science-environmental-modeling] :
http://www.case-inc.com/content/grimshaw-architects-miami-museum-science-environmental-modeling

I might be putting my foot in my mouth but I am assuming that Case Inc. was using a copy of WinAir to achieve these nice diagrams. If anybody knows how to do cfd with tools readily available please let me know.

Thank You.
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
yunpeng
in reply to: Anonymous

You can use FDS, but you must modify the input .data files manully(ecotect 5.5/fds4):
1.change the fds directory to your install directory
example: &MISC DATABASE_DIRECTORY = 'F:\NIST\fds\database4\' /
2. add the slice plane and the variable that you want to analysis.
example: &SLCF PBY=5 QUANTITY='VELOCITY' VECTOR=.TRUE./
3. Define the inlet surface type
example: &SURF ID='SingleGlazed_TimberFrame' RGB=0.50, 0.50, 0.50 PROFILE='ATMOSPHERIC' VEL=-5.00 PLE=0.3000 Z0=10.00 TMPWAL=20.00/
4. apply the inlet type and OPEN type to the inlet object and outlet object
example: &VENT XB = 0.9,0.9,-0.8,9.7,0,10,
SURF_ID = 'SingleGlazed_TimberFrame' /
&VENT XB = 14.9,14.9,-0.8,9.7,0,10,
SURF_ID = 'OPEN' /
limits of exporting to fds
ecotect can not export un-ortho objects to fds now.
we can not put the fds result back into ecotect, just viewing in smokeview. Edited by: yunpeng on Mar 18, 2009 3:38 PM
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

hello to all i am also having problems with ecotect air flow
it look so nice on the autocad site but i have spent the whole week trying to make it work and unfortunately i am stuck
..........at school we have ecotect 5.6 if i am not mistaking i was able to install nis but since the past week i have not been able to make anything. this is what i am doing. i installed nis (((i placed the nis root file on my c drive ex C:\NIST
i create a plane extrude it.
in Analysis grid i set it up (if there a any specific setup i should do please let me know)
in export i go to NIST and hit save )it ask me for to locate fds4 (i direct it to C:\NIST\FDS\fds5)
after it saves i get 2 files
test.fds
test.bach

can some one please help me i need to make a presentation by the end of this semester.
Message 4 of 12
yunpeng

first, you must use fds4, not 5. there are great differences between them.
second, you should build just ortho objects(it is a great nightmare in processing object non-parallel to the axises).
third, you should type following for running calculation in a DOS prompt: fds4
I give the attentions in the second post, or you can upload your ecotect models, i will have a look if i have time. Edited by: yunpeng on Mar 23, 2009 10:49 PM
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

hey thank you for the fast reply (after reaching the point of almost giving up you show me some hope) but now i ran into another problem i am unable to find NIST fds 4. In there website there is only the 5th versions. if you know of any links were i can find the file i would appreciate it or if you don't mind sharing the file with me.
(the file i am currently working on is a simple extruded box @ 90degress with a height. I am currently trying to learn the software so that i can import my model from 3d max and run some test for my final project at school)
thanks again for taking time to reply to me. Edited by: nycstudent on Mar 23, 2009 4:57 PM
Message 6 of 12
drajmarsh

Hi,

You can get a copy of FDS4 from:

http://www.fire.nist.gov/fds4/download/

The thing to remember is that, at least with the FDS export, Ecotect assumes you know how to edit the FDS files themselves and are prepared to get your hands dirty adding all the slices and other output definitions you need. Ecotect's main role is converting the complex 3D model data to FDS file format, removing the vast bulk of the work, but leaving the last little bits to you :).

Hope that helps...
Andrew

---
Dr. Andrew Marsh
Ecotect Support Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

Thank you for the fast reply.
now that i have the file i am eager to go home after class. thanks for the file Edited by: nycstudent on Mar 24, 2009 3:35 AM
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

ok i finally got the fds4 ruining
i installed it and got it to export the files to the location specify.
now my question is what do i do with all these files?
files that i have (saved in C:\Users\User\Desktop\Model)

1. test.batch file (in this batch file i open with notepad)
@ECHO off
ECHO ===============================================
ECHO RUNNING FDS - Please wait...
ECHO ===============================================
C:\Users\User\Desktop\nst\fds4.exe < C:\Users\User\Desktop\gbh\test.fds

test.fds
test.end
test.out
test.smv
test_01.sf
test_02.sf
test_03.sf
test_04.sf
test_05.sf
test_hrr.csv
test_0002_28.q
test_0004_11.q
test_0006_39.q
test_0008_22.q
test_0010_05.q

i tried. (probably did it wrong)
after all the files were exported i tried to run fds4 and typed this fds4
i am currently stuck at this point please help me
this is the image i am trying to reproduce
thanks in advance Edited by: nycstudent on Mar 24, 2009 5:17 AM
Message 9 of 12
yunpeng

If you have got the right results, you can click the file *.smv to view the effects of the calculation.
Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

i did open the smoke viewer but i don't like what i see
i was hoping for the end result to be like the autodesk ecotect front cover picture
my biggest question but simple is how do i take the information that i got from fds4 back to ecotect?
(((hopefully ecotet 2010 fixes this big prob if not i give up on the software)))
Message 11 of 12
yunpeng

In the current verson of ecotect, I think it is difficult to take the fds results back into ecotect by manual.
There is an substitue way(not very good): import fds results in TECPLOT and view in it. But it can not reach the effects of the cover.
You can ask for offical answer about 2010. Edited by: yunpeng on Mar 25, 2009 10:53 AM
Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

FDS 4 doesn't appear to be available online anymore.  I've lost my old download of it, and apparently FDS5 won't work?  Can anyone point me to a download for FDS4 for windows, 32 or 64 bit?  the
http://www.fire.nist.gov/fds4/download/ is a 404 - they've removed it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report