Community
Maya Dynamics
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya dynamics topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nHair underwater effect?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
eelric
701 Views, 2 Replies

nHair underwater effect?

Does anyone know the best way to set up a simulation of nhair underwater type effect?

basically what I am looking for is the hair to be blown and ripple as if the model is underwater.

the closest example I have been able to find for what I am looking for is located here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blOV_6cNIn4

I would like to know if there is any tutorials for how to create this effect, or if someone knows how and would be willing to share. Any tips, tricks, or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and trouble in responding to this message.

Tags (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
hrm2
in reply to: eelric

Any updates on this? I am looking into to doing underwater hair effects with nHair and would love some pointers on how you adjusted forces.

Message 3 of 3
DyllanCFX
in reply to: hrm2

To achieve the same look in the video, I would...

- Start with everything in default/initial settings

- Set Stretch/Compression Resistance to 200

- Set space scale according to my character size (can set to 0.01 as start)

- Set Air Density to 10

- Start increase wind speed to desired amount.  Use Nucleus wind, Volume Axis Field or Both together.

- In hairSystem.Turbulence, adjust Intensity and Frequency to break up the hair

- Finally, slowly raise Damp parameter until you feel the hair looks like underwater hair.*

* I always do this last as it really changes the look and feel of the hair.  You don't need much here to slow down the hair; too much will give you undesired effect.  Try to get the look you want without the damping value first, this includes the slowness of the sim.  If the hair is too fast, it's likely the wind or turbulence is too strong.  Fix that first, then go back and raise the damp value again.

Disclaimer: I'm leaving out a lot of information here because different situation requires different settings and tricks to achieve those looks.  But steps above should get people started with some results.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report