Community
Maya Dynamics
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya dynamics topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Painting input mesh attract on wrapped nCloth?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
787 Views, 2 Replies

Painting input mesh attract on wrapped nCloth?

I have a simple rectangular plain that I duplicated, turned the dup into nCloth, then applied a wrap deformer on the nCloth object so that it will follow the original (rigged) plain wherever you move the rig to in the scene. From what I understand this is a fairly common approach to creating nCloth. The problem I have is when it comes to painting the input mesh attract. I have set the "input mesh attract" value on my nCloth to a value of 1, all white, and am now painting the inside verts black with a value of 0, LEAVING the rim of vertices white. Which means, the rim of the rectangle should stay fully attracted to the original mesh, since they are 100% white at a value of 1, and the all the inside verts should act in a more fluid cloth type manner, since they are black with a value of 0. Right?

Now, when I animate the the object, what I would expect to see, is the rim of the rectangle to stay in place, as a four sided rectangle, but the inside to act as fluid cloth...think of taking your window screen from one of your windows, and replacing the black stiff mesh with a silk like material instead and waving it around.....that is the look I am going for. However, the problem I have, is that even with a value of zero/black on the inner verts, there is absolutely no cloth like movement/feeling at all on the inner verts. Its still stiff as a board, acting as if it still has a value of 1/white. I've played with all the attributes that I can, and adjusted my space scale, etc. to try and get SOME hint of cloth like movement on the inner verts, but nada...

Can someone enlighten me as to what I might be doing wrong?

Screen shot attached of my painted poly rectangle.

Thank you in advance for your input 🙂
-Dave

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Very interesting question.... no one can answer?

I'm interested to know what can it be.

Best regards.
Message 3 of 3
magillaGuerilla
in reply to: Anonymous

This is a very old post but I have a similar problem albeit in reverse, all my cloth is reacting even where it should be static, so I'm going to respond anyway in the hope that more input can shed some light on this.

A couple of things you might want to try - instead of using a wrap try using the Attract to Matching Mesh constraint then paint the strength to 1 where it should attract and 0 where it should be cloth.

Alternately try plugging the outMesh of the skinned (original) object to the InMesh of the nCloth shape and use the Input attract attribute to control how much it follows the original shape - you can paint vertex maps to vary this across the geo.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report