Community
Maya Dynamics
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya dynamics topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meteor crash simulation?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
975 Views, 6 Replies

Meteor crash simulation?

I need to know how to simulate a meteor crash like the meteor that hits Paris in the movie Armageddon. I need to know how to make the fire and smoke effects and emit them from a poly. Any tutorials and help welcome.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
tpalamar
in reply to: Anonymous

Wow, that is huge. There are a lot of different ways to do this from particles to compositing effects. It is really going to depend on what you image the final outcome to be. Fluids would be my first suggestion to represent the massive dust and dirt that would get kicked up from the impact.
Message 3 of 7
n8skow

agreed...
break your sequence down into several shots and figure out what effects you need to learn for each shot. Sounds like you'll be needing to do quite a bit with dynamics/particles and/or fluids though...
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Okay. But that's the thing. I need to know how to create the fire and dust effects. The shockwave will be easy to do. But the dust and fire effect. But also the mushroom cloud effect when the meteor impacts.
Message 5 of 7
n8skow

Well, are you running Maya Complete or Unlimited?
Do you have some reference photos to work from (always good to have a planned look for the effect).

Are you comfortable with compositing?
Some effects may require several 'layers' to get the desired look.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

I run Maya Unlimited 2008. The reference I use are the scene in Armageddon where a meteor hits Paris. And yes I use layers. But not so sure of compositing. I'm stil a student though. But I really want to learn these type of effects.
Message 7 of 7
n8skow

I'm referring to layering effects during compositing - not Maya's "layering".

At any rate. Duncan's Blog shows a method using Fluids - which gives really organic, soft billows:
area.autodesk.com/forum/index.php/blogs_duncan/blog_detail/simple_moving_fireball_with_maya_fluids/

3DBuzz also did a fluids training series for Maya, in which they build a fireball plummeting toward an ocean - see attached video (though they don't show you how to create the actual impact):
http://www.3dbuzz.com/xcart/product.php?productid=15

You could probably do a decent meteor with particles as well - using the surface of your meteor as the emitter(s) - but will take quite a bit more work to get the same dynamics you get using a fluid.

17295_kxgYvocwvRTAzef5ilJq.mov

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report