Community
Maya Dynamics
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya dynamics topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixing Maya solid shatter problem?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
13223 Views, 8 Replies

Fixing Maya solid shatter problem?

Hey, im working on a melscript that caches out shatter simulations, and adds dust dynamics  to the peices. Problem is that I cant seem to find a way in maya to shatter a solid object. I know there is a shatter option under dynamics>effects. However as soon as I make all the peices rigid bodies and add gravity maya just crashes. Ive done research on it and this is because the peices are aparently too close together and the dynamics cant run. Is there anything in maya to get around this problem? 

any help is a apreciated

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
david
in reply to: Anonymous

Delete history, freeze transforms and Assign a new material (yes you are reading this right...).
The new material is actually the key...
Message 3 of 9
mark
in reply to: david

still seems to be a problem in 2017 - using the command 'listHistory;' on the object will help you identify remnant histories that were not deleted.

My latest; I solved all the problems but object still doesn't solid shatter but creates its duplicate at a x10 scale.

...Nuts...

Message 4 of 9
ddankhazi
in reply to: mark

The Shatter feature in Maya is ridiculously/absolutely broken. It is broken for a long-long time.

Maya needs a brand new algorithm for that.
Cheers, D

Message 5 of 9
amt3cass
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm having the same problem with Shatter in Maya too. I'm trying to make debris for an environment that I'm making, and when I use shatter to make an object into debris it doesn't work and I've tried everything that I've seen online on how to do it. I've deleted the object's history, freeze the transformation, added a new material, centered in the absolute transform, and deleted the list history and nothing seams to work. When I use Shatter on a new piece of mesh that i just created it works fine but when I try to apply it to a more complicated piece of mesh and it does not work. Dose anyone know why it won't work? Dose it have to the fact that the models that I'm trying to apply shatter to were partially made through extract? Or could it be something else?

Message 6 of 9
sircharlesgraham
in reply to: amt3cass

oh man, this is bad.

We can't even shatter an object in Maya. why is everything in this program broken and convoluted.

Surely that should be a simple script to run.

Message 7 of 9
norik

the new material was the key indeed!!! Thanks dude! ❤️

Message 8 of 9
nivi.21hari
in reply to: norik

Yeah, It works. I have changed the object's material to New "Lambert". Now it works..Thank you

Message 9 of 9
inboxngp

it really helped me a lot, was trying from last 1000000000 years

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report