Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fields that read attribute inside of block

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
kemp77
1836 Views, 6 Replies

fields that read attribute inside of block

Hi, I would like to create a block with one attribute. The value of the attribute needs to be repeated through 2 or more fields. The problem I have is that the fields will not update unless the block is exploded.

%<\AcObjProp Object(%<\_ObjId 1944078696>%).TextString \f "%tc1">%

Is the field, maybe there is a different way of writing it so it will update while remaining inside the block? Or should I be building this block in a different way entirely...Opinions welcome! Thanks...

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
edwinprakoso
in reply to: kemp77

If you use fields in block attributes, it should be able to update without exploding the block. Probably you created it with text?

Here is a dynamic block sample I created with text fields: http://cad-notes.com/2009/11/how-to-label-coordinate-in-autocad/

--
Edwin
Message 3 of 7
Charles_Shade

Post the block.

I believe the fields should all be unique. Not one calling for information from another.

Also if the other Field is in a block nested inside then it will not update. Right?

Message 4 of 7
kemp77
in reply to: Charles_Shade

This arrow leader uses a weird box style linetype that is likely not defined on your system. What I would like to do is allow the text on either side of the line read the same value, that of one which is defined by an invisible attribute.

There may be a better way to handle a block of this type, but I am all ears! Thanks

Message 5 of 7
ToanDN

That is doable but would be easier if you insert the block using Tool palette.  I've posted the instruction here before but someone thought it was complicated and not worth the effort so I won't retype it unless you want to pursue this way.

Message 6 of 7
Charles_Shade
in reply to: ToanDN

Why not just link to the thread?

I got flamed for typing out the steps to do something one time until the flamer tried to do the same thing... then he knew.

Message 7 of 7

I think I have a similar problem. I have attached the file for reference. I have a block with fields. I want the fields to get their value from attributes in the same block. I am open to other ideas on how to accomplish this. The reason I wanted to use fields is because they will grow or shrink depending on content. So in my example I could easily replace the material and scale fields with the attributes and make them visible. However, on the first line where I have three attribute values on the same line I can't get the formatting to work out unless I use fields. The fields maintain the attribute values from when the block was created. I can do a REFEDIT but this changes the value of all of the blocks on a page. I frequently have 10 -15 such labels on a single page. I have tried various other commands to update the fields such as UPDATEFIELD and ATTSYNC with no success. I am pretty sure it is related to the fact that the objectID the fields get their value from is the original objects in the block definition and not the actual objects once I insert the block. I didn't know if there was some scripting magic I could perform to make this work. Thanks for any help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services