22045 Views, 212 Replies

You gotta try visibility-add-eng-v1.1

Ok, the instructions aren't the clearest, however, when you get the hang of
it you'll love it. Try to make my valve (attached) without using this lisp
routine, you'll spend 10X longer.

Here are the steps I figured out:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Elements:
Lines, arcs, splines, attributes, text, etc.

1) Place all the elements. The location doesn't matter at first, so make
them easy to select by not stacking things on top of each other.

2) Add all the parameters/actions you want - DO NOT add any visibility
states or lookups yet. Make sure your actions affect the things you want,
and don't affect the things you don't want them to.

3) Load visibility-add-eng.lsp.

4) Add a visibility parameter using (visibility_add). Rename the parameter
accordingly.

5) Set this new visibility parameter active using (visibility-up). There is
a little problem with the program here. When you have one visibility
parameter active and you set a new one active, it gets hung up. Use the
visibility state pulldown and select a state. Note the command line will
ask you for a visibility state. Type ? to see those available, then type in
any name you want.

6) Add the states to the list of visibilities - DO NOT change the visibility
of anything yet.

7) Using (element-sel-current-del) select all the elements you do not want
to be affected when you change this particular visibility state.
For example: If I'm working on the "actuator" visibility states, I don't
want my valve type to change if a person wants to use a different actuator,
therefore, I will select every element that is not an actuator.

8) Now you can make elements visible or invisible in the states you've
defined. Do not bother changing the visibility of the elements you've
removed.
NOTE: if you draw a new object or copy something, it will not be removed
from any visibility sets.

9) Repeat steps 4 thru 8.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I did not list all the functions in this routine. Many I don't even know
how to use yet, or why.

Todd
212 REPLIES 212
Message 161 of 213
Christmas_C
in reply to: Anonymous

Working on a title block with two visual states one for the job number, and one for scales.. job number has visual state of single line or double line; and  the scales has visual states from 3" to 1/16" when the single line job number is chosen, all scales work. when double is chosen only one scale was working.

Message 162 of 213
mtriple1
in reply to: rapidcad

hello yo ,  im just trying this lisp ,and i had problem .... i did the steps one by one .... every thing is fine just the (element-sel-current-del)  or any of its type ,, i mean i cannt delete element or insert element ,, i finished my DB and its work but any visibility affecte the other one , so the best part not working , i tried using autocad 2012 and 2014 , which version of autocad that this lisp work for sure ? so i can do this .

Command: (element-sel-current-del)
Select objects: 1 found
Select objects: _.BSAVE
Command: nil

its return nil , i know nil mean 0 ist normaly return nil ?

idk what going on i tried v1.5 and 1.3 both cannt delete 

the block has lines and text field-in and text only. text has arbic font 

hope u can help ,, thx

Message 163 of 213
ojuris
in reply to: mtriple1

May be I'm not right, but last working acad version is 2010

Message 164 of 213
peter_m.
in reply to: Christmas_C

I was having all sorts of problems, installing (finally got IT to stop blocking) 2010 solved them.

Really is a lovely lisp

Message 165 of 213
rfg018

This is a great routine, Adding a much needed power to blocks and should be part of block edit.  Did Autodesk think we only need one Visibility State?

I just can not belive autodesk lab or a good programer couldn't fix this routine to work with newer versions of autcad.

note: I would also like to see a routine like this for styles, where I could turn on and off compoents.

Message 166 of 213
rapidcad
in reply to: rfg018

I totally agree. Multiple Visibility Parameters made it to #3 on the AUGI wish list which was presented at last December's Autodesk University in Las Vegas. Maybe Autodesk will hear the cry for it now. Even though our Russian friend made it work, I realize that it is a large undertaking to do it correctly without jeopardizing the object model.

http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_lines/2012/12/augi-wish-list-2012-results-for-8-autodesk-produ...

ADN CAD Developer/Operator
Message 167 of 213
tbennett

I don't remember if I ever posted these instructions for V1.4 (attached).  I use R2011.  Granted the program is a bit tricky and takes a bunch of forethought, but it is cool as heck!

Please mark "Accept as Solution" if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 168 of 213
bhull1985
in reply to: tbennett

Can we have a download link that isn't blocked via internet filters for being "social networking" ??

Perhaps just a 3rd party download link that would allow people on the job to be able to download?

I.e. tagged under "social networking" is not very good in this case

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Please use code tags and credit where credit is due. Accept as solution, if solved. Let's keep it trim people!
Message 169 of 213
rapidcad
in reply to: bhull1985

I'm sorry that you are being blocked. Of which download are you speaking?

The Multiple visibility lisp can be downloaded HERE

I can still reach this page and download the program. If you cannot, it is likely because your IT. Department has blocked it. In that case, you'd need to ask them to allow it as an exception.

Message 170 of 213
Charles_Shade

And so you know this Lisp is not an Autodesk routine.

It is from a private user who does not service it anymore and I think it is only good thru 2010(?) versions.

Message 171 of 213
rapidcad
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Yes and no. It is not Autodesk's, but it does work in AutoCAD 2011.  I do not think anyone ever got it working in AutoCAD 2012, and I tested in AutoCAD 2013 without success. Andre posted a 2012 version (1.5) in message #52 of this thread, but it had object model issues that never got fixed. The level of difficulty of his programming efforts was off the charts, all I can do is thank him for his completed work - wonderful addition that hopefully Autodesk will eventually incorporate.

Message 172 of 213
bhull1985

Yeah, it'd be nice to see some of the current gurus take a stab at fixing this

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Please use code tags and credit where credit is due. Accept as solution, if solved. Let's keep it trim people!
Message 173 of 213

What are the chances something like this will get updated for ACAD 2015? 2015 will load the lsp without complaining but won't run any of its routines.
Message 174 of 213
tbennett
in reply to: 10300315

You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?

I'd say more like... one out of a million.

So you're telling me there's a chance. Yeah!

Please mark "Accept as Solution" if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 175 of 213
rapidcad
in reply to: tbennett

Best hope is that Autodesk incorporates the functionality of multiple visibility parameters into AutoCAD's next release (2016). The wish for it made it to #3 on the AUGI wishlist either last year or the year before, but there has been no action apparently, so far, but these things take time. 2016 will again, introduce a new object model, so maybe, hopefully, it will make its way into the next version. To support this kind of functionality, they really need to examine all the ramifications of opening up different parts of the object model. With next year's release, they would have that once every 3 year opportunity again.

As far as the author, or someone of his caliber revising the Autolisp code, it has been stated several times that he is involved in other interests these days. No matter what, if you are on subscription, you should be able to download 2011 and use it for development, and your blocks will work in the newer versions just fine - that is how I roll.

Message 176 of 213

Thanks for the update. I'll keep quiet and hope for the best, unless
there's something more productive that can be done to grease the wheels on
this one.
Message 177 of 213
Libbya
in reply to: 10300315

Probably most productive would be to become well-versed in LISP and fix it.  🙂

Second would be to add your 'pretty please' and 'if you fix it you will be my hero and get lots of kudos' to this thread:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Visual-LISP-AutoLISP-and-General/Can-Anyone-Fix-Visibility-add-eng-LIS...

Message 178 of 213
bhull1985
in reply to: Libbya

Problem is that the old routine worked off of an object model that is no longer in use.

Wouldn't require a 'fix' per-se, but more like an entire rework, that would "fix" it 🙂

Message 179 of 213
Libbya

That may be true, but I bet if every forum member who would like to see the vis-add LISP working posted to/bumpede the above linked thread, someone who knows LISP better than I know it, would take on the challenge and the undying gratitude.  

Message 180 of 213
tbennett
in reply to: Libbya

857, correction 858 posts is pretty significant.  I hope AutoDesk is taking notes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services