Did you mean: 

Stretching equally while arraying

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
kitch272
1799 Views, 7 Replies

Stretching equally while arraying

Hello,

I have been trying (albeit unsucessfully) to draw a DB that requires a hole spacing of 16" maximum. The problem with this is that a pair of holes will need to be added or subtracted based on the width while not exceeding this 16" maximum dimension, but maintaining even spacing. I.E., when this block is stretched down, a pair of holes needs to be subtracted and the remaining holes need to be spaced evenly. I have attached the block drawn at it's maximum width and most required holes at this width with stretch perameters for each hole set. The best idea I could think of would be visibilty states for each series of holes that would be activated when the block is streched accordingly but just can't seem to make it work. Thank you in advance for any and all help.

Jeff

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
laneclare
in reply to: kitch272

I was able to do a similar thing with a block for a platform with internal toggles.  

I created a linear paramater, and used 2 actions linked to that parameter.  First, I added an array action, set to insert the things that you need to have repeated, then used a stretch action that includes the grip for the array.  

Message 3 of 8
Charles_Shade
in reply to: laneclare

Yes but this method still is static in terms of the spacing of the Array. The spacing of the Array cannot be changed using Dynamic Properties as the OP is asking.

There may be Parametric ways to do this but until someone comes along with Parametric ideas then the OP is on hold for an answer.

Message 4 of 8
ojuris

This is what I understand of Your problem

may be is usable for You

Juris

Message 5 of 8
Thomas.l
in reply to: ojuris

I once tried something similar for the placing of the duct name on a duct.

But as far as i know it can't be done whit arrays.

What i did was making ceveral visibility states and then linking this whit a block property table to automaticaly change the stretch length.

The problem whit your drawing whill be that it is two dymencional.

This wil result in a very big list of posibilitys and thus a very big block property table.

And it will be a **** load of work to gert it working.

As an alternative i think that it should be possible whit lisp or VB.

Regards 

Thomas

Message 6 of 8
kitch272
in reply to: Thomas.l

Thank you all for the input. Thomas I agree that there will be a huge amount visibility states with what I am doing. At 1/16" increments, I have the potential for 3100 possible combinations out of a maximum pattern of 13 pairs of holes. It would be my assumption that it isn't as easy as having 13 visibility states that change when stretched past a certain point I.E., a 3 holes stretching 24 1/16" to 40", then 4 for 40 1/16" to 56". Again, thank you all.

Jeff

Message 7 of 8
Thomas.l

This his how i think it can be done:

You set a visibility state for every posibility, 

So first visibility state for 1 pair, second visibility state for two pairs,...

Then you set for every pair a distance parameter starting from the left corner.

You als ad a moving action to the parameter so when you change it the holes whill move.

Lastly you make a block property table that sets all your lengths and whit every length the wanted visibility state, length of every hole pair and global length.

Regards 

Thomas

Message 8 of 8
kitch272
in reply to: Thomas.l

Thank you Thomas...and sorry for the delayed response. I will give it a try and report back.

Jeff

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services