Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotate Model of MVB in 3D

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
croc49
352 Views, 6 Replies

Rotate Model of MVB in 3D

Is there a way to rotate the R-25SHWS-M block in this MVB in the 3d direction by a lookup table for a range of angles above zero, rather than copy and rotate 20-30 times and control by visbility ?

At present I have to BlockEdit each time to set correct angle in properties (now 22.5 degrees).

Not difficult but seems clunky.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Charles_Shade
in reply to: croc49

There has been very limited success in using Dynamic Blocks in a 3D environment. My initial thoughts would be to say no but I would also encourage you to Search thi Forum or Google this query. There are others who have tried and may be able to give you some advice.

I did work on an articulated lamp some years ago that would move in a 3D environment but it was not a 3D block I've been told. That was in the AUGI Dynamic Block Forum. The item in question is attached.

Message 3 of 7
steven-g

A block can contain 3D items. The problem is that there is no control of the parameters in the Z axis in the block editor, one option is to create a block in a block but this is probably more clunky than how you do it now. Something like this adaption of Charles lamp, (nice block Charles that dome must have taken a while in LT). I think a table might work quite well for the inner block, but I haven't got a lot of experience with them.

Message 4 of 7
croc49

The lamp(s) are real works of art.

I added a lookup to my "test" block but that can only be accessed through block editor - see attachment.

Was hoping to perhaps have a variable in drawing properties that could be edited and be reflected as a field in the lookup properties - tried a few tihngs but failed.

Message 5 of 7
steven-g

Unfortunately that is one of the limitations, you cannot see or get at any of the properties of the inner block without going into the block editor, which makes it "clunky", it maybe a possibility using Lisp but unfortunately I'm LT so can't help you in that direction, the best I can get you is the rotation in the 2nd block and then go into block editor to use your lookup for the tilt angle. You could try posting this in the lisp forum see if anyone can figure out how to drive the lookup from outside the block editor.

Message 6 of 7
steven-g
in reply to: steven-g

You should also bear in mind that you can only change the inner block globally IE. if you use a nested block in 3 places editing the inner block will change al three copies.

Message 7 of 7
Charles_Shade
in reply to: steven-g

Sorry for the false impression.

All I did was add the Dynamic Properties. I don't remember who did the lamp but they had created it in a 3D Autodesk program.

Thanks for the follow up that using Dynamic Properties in 3D is cumbersome; if possible, at best.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services