Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repeating ATT info

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
262 Views, 9 Replies

Repeating ATT info

We have a number of blocks which need to show the same ATTRIBUTE info in more than one spot. It should have been an easy task but didn't turn out that way. The ATTRIBUTE is created (ATT1) in the BLOCK EDITOR. Then an MTEXT field was inserted in the appropriate locations. These fields are set to reference the ATT1 object by selecting Field name: Object, Property: Value.

That works well in that it shows the default value of ATT1, but that value is NOT updated. REGEN, ATTSYNC, UPDATEFIELD have no affect. The default value is always shown.

What is the proper way to accomplish this simple task? If they need to be separate ATTRIBUTEs they need to be linked so that when one is changed they all change. What am I missing here?

AutoCAD 2010
XP

Thanks,
Kirk
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
M_Hensley
in reply to: Anonymous

I have had the same problem with fields in dynamic blocks. As a work around I used just the one attribute and added move actions to get it to the right places. Then use a lookup table to combine each move with the proper visibility state. (Also make sure the lock position property of your attribute is set to yes before starting.)
Message 3 of 10
ToanDN

I finally figured a workaround:

- make an Attribute block (A)
- Create the source Attribute (1)
- Don't use MTEXT. Creat another Attribute (2), left the VALUE blank
- INSERT the ATT block, enter the VALUE for the Attribute (1) normally
- Edit the VALUE for the Atrribute (2) and add a FIELD reference to OBJECT (select the block), Property (select Attribute (1)). (2) now shows the same VALUE as (1)
- Make a block (B) and select block (A) as Object
- Create a Tool in you palette of the block (B), set it to EXPLODE when insert
- Now insert the block (B) from the Tool palette, it will be exploded to block (A)
- Change VALUE of Attribute (1) and regen. Attribute (2) is updated.

Attached is one example. Insert it in and explode it (once) to test.
Message 4 of 10
Charles_Shade

I think the OP wrote "simple task"?
Message 5 of 10
ToanDN

I thougt his "simple task" refered to Edit one attribute and the other got updated. And he was asking for a solution for that.
Message 6 of 10
Charles_Shade

Yea I got that, it seems the solution wasn't what I'd call simple. It works but it was a head stratcher was it not? Reads like one.
Regards, Charles Shade
Message 7 of 10
ToanDN

The only extra steps are put the attribute block in side another block, then drop it on a Tool Palette. How is that complicated?
Message 8 of 10
Charles_Shade

It's not, just reads that way. Didn't mean to raise the heckles.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

TeamSquid,
It may not be 'simple', but once the block (B) is made there isn't a bunch of repetitive work which is what I was looking for. I'll give it a shot tonight.

Thanks,
Kirk
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

My suggested method is to not enter the "FIELD" definition in the attribute
"default", but in the attribute "value" post insertion. This method allows
you to select any object and extract its content. Makes your block that much
more flexible.

Joe

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services