Did you mean: 

Polar array inside a dynamic block

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
inteso
5047 Views, 16 Replies

Polar array inside a dynamic block

I've made this block
when i rotate the vertical line I need to add lines every 15° as you see in the image, i've seen that polar array is not possible in the dynamic blocks.
Can you help me to find a solution?
Thank you for the support
Bez
image.jpg

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Charles_Shade
in reply to: inteso

EDIT (ten minutes later): And now I realize I do not beleive that I answered your question at all (below) but will keep that info anyway since it may be useful.

Not sure right off how to get that line to come in at increments but I suspect it is doable.

This has been done in the past using a Dimension line for the Arc without endpoints (Arrows) and no text.

See the attached Door Block.

I think that DIMASSOC needs to be set to 2 to get this to work. Once done you can change that Variable back to what you want.

Or it could be 1. (I've had some issues with DIMASSOC recently that have caused me great grief).

Short of it is if you create the DIMANGULAR and it does not stay with the endpoints that you choose try changing the DIMASSOC.

Message 3 of 17

Here's a "fake" as a possible starting point. Doesn't work quite right as the last line will nto drop when you go back to zero.

Message 4 of 17
ojuris
in reply to: Charles_Shade

hi! You forgot insert 0 values at lookup tables for visibility and angle, that's why it is not droping last line in zero value Juris
Message 5 of 17
Charles_Shade
in reply to: ojuris

Message 6 of 17
inteso

I'm Trying to attach the block.dwg file but the forum responds with this error "The contents of the attachment doesn't match its file type."
Help me please....

in words... so you would add a visibility parameter associated to the rotation action..... am i wrong?

Message 7 of 17
Charles_Shade

Yes that is it; but the Lookup controls both so that you simulate the Rotation by changing the Vis State.

You would need to add a line to the Lookup for each degree that you wanted this to occur.

Try Zipping your file and if that does not work I'll send the attachment issue up the line to see if that can be corrected.

Message 8 of 17
inteso
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Same problem (also with Zip file)
Message 9 of 17
Charles_Shade

I've asked Discussion Admin to look into your file posting issue. Hopefully that will get corrected soon.

If you would like you can PM the file by clicking on my name or send it to c l shade at c shade design dot com

Message 10 of 17

This works for me:

Create the Associative Polar Array in the block editor.

Create a user parameter in the parameter manager. Show in properties: Yes.

Select the Associative Array and enter the name of the parameter in the desired field in the ribbon.

Drive the parameter via properties or a lookup table.

Kind regards,

Peter Kompier.

Message 11 of 17
michael.kubitza

This isn't exactly the polar array fix you're looking for, but I've made a block in the past where I needed to do something like this.

What I did was just overlap whatever geometry I needed to array, and assign one rotation parameter to the first line (at 15° in your case).  For the 30°+ line, assign two rotation parameters, chain actions, and it acts as a multiplier.

Granted my "array" was only 4 objects so I didn't have to create too many parameters, but it does provide for a simulated polar array.  I can upload my block if needed.

Message 12 of 17
j.palmeL29YX

I'd suggest >>this way<< - using parametric constraints/dimensions and an arraypath. 

You can change at any time the FillAngle, can change the Increment Angle and can rotate the block, each of these parameters to any value. (Either dragging the appropriate grip or change the numerical value in the properties window).

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 13 of 17
chriswade
in reply to: j.palmeL29YX

This is impressive, but how did you create it? A tutorial would be great.

Message 14 of 17
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: chriswade

@chriswade wrote:

A tutorial would be great.

Even if my suggestion above seems not to meet the goal what @inteso hoped to achieve, here a video how I'd do it: 

Jürgen Palme
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 15 of 17
chriswade

Ok, I am making progress based on your example, but some things are off for me in trying to create an elbow.

The red items are insulation and they always need to be 2" from the edge of the elbow on either side.

If I select 90 degrees first, it causes an issue as shown on the left.

I also need to be able to scale up and down the size of the elbow.

Message 16 of 17
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: chriswade

Hmm. 

Is this (what you marked as correct) really what you want to get? 

Elbow.png

Please clarify and tell us more detailed what you want to do: which dimensions should the user be able to modify, which dimensions have to stay fixed, how should the elbow look after "scaling up/down" (draw and show us an example of such a "scaled" elbow). 

Shall the changeable (by user) dimensions get any value or should they be restricted to a limited list of allowed values? (As in your example the value for ANGLE). 

What is the Parameter BEND used for? What as example shall happen if the user chooses ANGLE=60 and BEND=13, how should the elbow look? 

I can imagine a lot of variants what you perhaps want to achieve, but non of them I can "syncronize" with what I find your  example. Therefore my ask to clarify your request. 

Jürgen Palme

EESignature

Message 17 of 17
chriswade

Honestly, the example needed a bit more work as follows:

• BEND should have been internal and not user facing.
  • The angle between bends needed to be corrected
  • There needed to be an option to specify size
    • This needed some additional constraints to ensure everything sized correctly.

I am mostly there with this; however, if I change the size of the elbow, the bends do not change in size and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to make that happen.

In the attached example, everything should be correct when the SIZE parameter is changed except for the BENDS, they should go all the way across the elbow. In other words look at how it behaves at the default size and then when changing size, it should behave the same way just larger.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services