Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi Parameter Dynamic Block Performance Issue

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
nbawden
419 Views, 3 Replies

Multi Parameter Dynamic Block Performance Issue

The attached ACAD 2010 drawing contains a dynamic block with 3 different types of parameters

Block Properties Table
Visibility
Lookup (x11)

Testing them in isolation the performance is fine but now that I have all of them combined AutoCAD freezes for a second or so every time the mouse passes over the block.

Could someone please tell me what is causing it? I am hoping it is an easy fix as this block achieves exactly what I want but I cannot tolerate the performance issues.

Note if you change the scale value in the title block you need to do a regen to see the updated result.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dmfrazier
in reply to: nbawden

"AutoCAD freezes for a second or so every time the mouse passes over the block."
Do you have GRIPBLOCK set to 1?
How about TOOLTIPS settings?
(The only thing I detected was when changing the scale value there was a short 1-5 second lag before the lookup "grip" changed back to its normal color.)
Message 3 of 4
nbawden

I created this block at home on my vista laptop and that is where I had the performance issues. However trying it at work on my XP machine there the performance is fine. Weird - need to go home and restart the laptop to see if it was just having a bad day.

I don't see shy my gripblock would be set to 1 if the default is 0 but I will double check thanks.
Message 4 of 4
nbawden

I just checked my home laptop and it has gripblock=0 as expected but the performance is still bad - the cursor freezes for only an instant when passing over the block but enough to be annoying. There must be something about the block or C3D itself that is causing a performance hit.

I looked a bit further into by running Windows Task Manager - every time I pass the cursor over the block one of the CPU cores will max out. I delved further and noticed that even when I don't pass the cursor over the block but instead move the mouse rapidly around in model space one of the cores will still max out (though without any visible performance issues)

The CPU is a Core 2 Duo T7300 2.00Ghz with 3 GB running and a GeForce 8000 and something running Vista Home Premium

On my work computer where there is no issue it has a Core 2 Duo E6850 3.00Ghz with 4GB (with or without the /3GB switch) and a GeForce 8600M GT running XP

cpubenchmark.net benchmarks the work E6850 at 1849 and the home T7300 at 1095

Autodesk still lists the minimum system requirements as a Pentium 4 3.00 GHz (benchmark 482) - not ideal I know but my home laptop still doubles the min spec for CPU speed?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services