Did you mean: 

Mirrored rotation dynamic block

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
jeffrey.ries
3100 Views, 7 Replies

Mirrored rotation dynamic block

Is it possible to mirror a rotation within a dynamic block?

Please see the attached drawing.  I am trying to have two rotations within a dynamic block, but only one grip.  When the grip is rotated one half of the block rotates while the other half rotates in reverse.  The resulting action would be much like the wings of a butterfly.

I have tried many different combinations of parameters, actions and constraints with no luck.  The block in the attched file was as close as I could get.

Have I reached the end of what AutoCAD is capable of?

Thanks,

Jeff

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
AcadAdamLT
in reply to: jeffrey.ries

Is it something like this your looking for? ( see attatched)

In this version I'm using block property tablet with "Block Properties must match a row in the table". I got 2 columns with Angle 2 and Angle 1, each with 45 rows saying angle 2 can only have the value 360 - 315 when Angle 1 has value 0 - 45.

This function matches/mirrors one rotation with another but instead of doing the same move I have one doing positive angle and the other negative. I restricted it to only be allowed to do angle lesser then >45 but you can take away restriction aswell.

Angle 2 is the "leading" angle. ( the one that has the grip that is )

Signature, sincerely... //Adam
AutoCad LT 2016
Give Kudos where credit is due, Mark "accepted as solution" if the post solved your question.
Message 3 of 8
jeffrey.ries
in reply to: AcadAdamLT

That is awesome.  You got it to do exactly what I was hoping for.

Thank you,

Jeff

Message 4 of 8
AcadAdamLT

A suggestion is to experiment abit with block property tablet, it is quite useful tool and you can do alot of special functions with it.

Posting a marvelous example from: Thomas.l

Original post: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Dynamic-Blocks/Dynamic-Block-Show-Off-TOO/td-p/2686376/page/3

AutoCad LT 2016
Give Kudos where credit is due, Mark "accepted as solution" if the post solved your question.
Message 5 of 8
jeffrey.ries

You've made my day.  That was the most insane dynamic block I have ever seen!

I was already aware of lookup tables and I first attempted to reconstruct your example in that way.  I soon realzed that yours looked different and found the block properties table.  I have never seen this before.  I will now look into how it works.

Thanks again for fixing my block as well as showing me a new avenue of possibilities within dynamic blocks.  I haven't been this excited since I discovered visibility parameters.

Man am I a nerd,

Jeff

Message 6 of 8
jeffrey.ries

OK, here is an updated version of the block.  After toying with the one you fixed it became clear that my approach was incorrect.  You got the block to do exactly what I wanted, but I now realize that this method makes it difficult to control.

With that said, please take a look at the attached block.  I applied what you showed me only in a differnt order, and then peppered in a few constraints.  This version keeps one leaf inactive, and when the grip is rotated the second leaf rotates.  The grip wanders a bit, but it does exacty as it is intended.

The only problem is that when this block is copied and one of the blocks is altered, both blocks change.  Am I missing something obvious?

Thank you,

Jeff

Message 7 of 8
AcadAdamLT

Nice to hear you took it to mind, block property tablet is a powerful tool and you can certainly do alot with it.

Your already improving your block further and the more knowledge the better the blocks.

I looked at your improved block and I understood the effects of it but since I don't have the luxury of full version Autocad I can't see the constraints.

@jeffrey.ries wrote:

The only problem is that when this block is copied and one of the blocks is altered, both blocks change.  Am I missing something obvious?

Hmm, what do you mean?
Inserted your block into one of my drawings and didn't seem to be any problems.

If I copy it unaltered it creates an unaltered, if I copy it while altered it creates an altered.

Remember that when you copy the block you also copy it's properties, and since each time you alter the block using a grip or such you are changing the value of a property to something new, that value is then copied to the "copy".

Under properties you'll find tab: Custom

In your case you should have, Angle 1, Angle 2 and BlockTable 1.

The Value's should be 0 at all when unaltered.

@jeffrey.ries wrote:

Man am I a nerd,

Jeff

Aren't we all... 😃

AutoCad LT 2016
Message 8 of 8
jeffrey.ries

The problem I am having is when you first copy the block and then alter it via the rotation grip.  What I would expect to happen is that only the selected block would change, however the angle on both blocks do.

My theory is that the constraints are what is causing the odd behavior.  Maybe your version of AutoCAD does not reproduce this because it lacks some constraints abilities?

Jeff

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services