Did you mean: 

Horizontal and Angled Arrays in Dynamic Blocks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
ktask
1691 Views, 7 Replies

Horizontal and Angled Arrays in Dynamic Blocks

Good afternoon,

I was trying to make a block where a user could stretch a conveyor. I need to have both a 2D and a 3D version. I can't figure out a way to have one grip array both the 2D version (where it will be arraying horizontal) and the 3D (where the array will be angled). I've attached the block in question. If someone could help me figure out a way to do this, that would be great. 

Thanks!

Tags (3)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
AcadAdamLT
in reply to: ktask

Hi

I'm limited to Autocad LT so I can't unfortunately do or try anything but here's a thought on your question!

If you want one grip to control the array of both 2D and 3D version but one of them with angles you could use one array with grip on a polar parameter which arrays the 2D and have another Array for the 3D with a polar parameter chained to the first array, that way you can add angle on the second array and not the first.

Another idea is to use a BPT (BlockPropertyTablet) to control the rotation(angle) of the 3d object...

Hope it helped.

Signature, sincerely... //Adam
AutoCad LT 2016
Give Kudos where credit is due, Mark "accepted as solution" if the post solved your question.
Message 3 of 8
ktask
in reply to: AcadAdamLT

I tried doing and the one grip does array both but the 3D still arrays horizontal. I don't know if I have a setting in my polar parameter wrong or if I missed something. I've attached the modified block (I know you can't test it with LT but maybe someone else can check it out) 

Message 4 of 8
AcadAdamLT

Instead of using a chained parameter try using a BPT.

Check the box "Values must match Blockpropertytable"

Then set increment on both distance parameters and set both parameters up in blockpropety tablet to match values.

When you stretch the horizontal array the angled array will follow with the exact same increment.

Good luck.

AutoCad LT 2016
Give Kudos where credit is due, Mark "accepted as solution" if the post solved your question.
Message 5 of 8
ktask

Hey Adam,

I tried to do this but I've never used a Block Properties Table and I'm having a few issues. I modified my parameters so the base distance of distance 2 is 6 and it increments in 6. When I went to enter the values for it into the table it was fine for all options except 18 where I got the error attached below. I had the same error for about 1/3rd of the entries for distance 3. I'm not sure what's causing this error or how to get around it. I tried it in both 2012 and 2014 as well as on one of my coworkers computer to verify it wasn't an issue with my computer or a specific version of AutoCAD. I've attached the updated block with the incomplete table in it.

Thanks!

Message 6 of 8
AcadAdamLT

You need to match all values in the BPT, no cell can be empty of value.

Your linear parameter uses an "odd" length, something like 6,23151251, with an increment of six that means your next value is something like 12,23151251.

Is it possible to correct the parameter to have an exact value of 6? 

It will be easier to correct then.

Remember that the default value must match, the length of both parameters must be first value to match, then next value of both parameters will be default value + 6 increment and so on...

The error is caused by faulting values in your BPT

Hope it helped

AutoCad LT 2016
Message 7 of 8
ktask

Hey Adam,

Not sure I understand what I've done wrong. My distance 2, which starts at 6 and increments at 6 has all the entries I'm able to input as whole numbers on that scale. For some reason I can enter all of the except 18, where I get the error shown in my previous post. For distance 3 which is the horizontal one and based on the angle and spacing of distance 2 (which is why the numbers are not whole values, I need the 2D and 3D rollers to line up vertically), the first value is the distance of the length parameter then just adds my column spacing from the array (which is the same as my increment on the parameter) to get the rest of the values. For these I can enter about 1/3 of them no problem but the other 2/3 cause the same error as trying to enter 18.

Thanks!

Message 8 of 8
Libbya

I believe that the attached block works the way you would like.  I added a chained linear parameter to the 3d conveyor.  I then added a stretch action to the horizontal linear parameter so that it stretches the 3d linear parameter with the appropriate distance multiplier and angle offset.  I added the array action to the 3d linear parameter.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services