Community
Dynamic Blocks Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Dynamic Block - constraints don't work?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
yardstickciv
746 Views, 6 Replies

Help with Dynamic Block - constraints don't work?

hey all - i'm trying to get a dynamic call-out going and i couldn't figure out how to do it with only parameters and actions, so i tried to use some constraints as well.  as Charles Shade has pointed out, constraints in dynblks seem to be a little flaky.

attached is a file with what i'm going for - just the ability to grip-move a call-out circle and have a leader stay at a fixed angle, but stretch to wherever the circle goes.  (and unfortunately using standard leaders doesn't quite cut it for what we ultimately need)

the bizarreness:  creating the definition works fine, and the first insertion works as expected.  the second insertion, however, seems to use the length value (for the horizontal line) from the instance of the first block insertion rather than from the block definition.  it seemed almost like the instance of the first insertion, upon being modified, updated the block definition with the value of the entity being contrained (horizontally in this case). but this is not always consistent.  sometimes the definition seems to read the second instance and in at least one scenario, stretching one instance updated another instance (though i have not been able to replicate that).

does anyone know if the intent for constraints was to not work with dynamic blocks?  i could see the birth of contraints being an answer to not need to create a dynamic block, but i wasn't sure if that was really autodesks intent.

anyway, any help on that block would be greatly appreciated!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Try these on and see if something here works for you.

These have been culled form other posters here and previous work.

There is a standard multileader in the file for reference.

Message 3 of 7

i've actually got those already, but there was a request to "fix" the leader angle at 120 (the other angles, 60, 240 and 300 i can get via flips or visibility states).

(i attached what i've made for them in the past, but now they just want that fixed angle, and i just can't figure it out 🙂

it's that one request that i can't seem to get past.

i'm also still trying to figure out how to "fully constrain" a block.  i read about the need to have at least one entity fixed, but that still leaves me with only partially constrained entities.  i'm even down to just two lines with a perpendicular constraint and one of the legs "fixed" to a point in teh WCS.  still no "fully constrained" block 🙂

no clue.

but i really appreciate your help - you seem to be one of the more knowledgeable dynblk guys here (or at least one of hte more vocal) so thanks!

Message 4 of 7
lloyd912
in reply to: yardstickciv

How I wished I can fully help you with constraining dynamic block but then I'm also figuring it out too.

I hope that this pdf file may help you somehow.

http://aucache.autodesk.com/au2009/sessions/5201/AU09_SpeakerHandout_AU318-1.pdf

Hi there! Do you have a house, flat, cottage, bungalow in London needing cleared of all furniture & clutter? If yes, read on house clearance London and let me know.
Message 5 of 7
Charles_Shade
in reply to: lloyd912

Yep been reading thru that too. Fully Constraining is not an easy task.

Something to learn.

Message 6 of 7
yardstickciv
in reply to: lloyd912

thanks for that link - if nothing else this part was very useful:

You normally fully constrain geometry in dynamic blocks that containing only constraints.

You normally partially constrain geometry in dynamic blocks containing both constraints and
block actions.

so now i know that blocks should be able to have both constraints and actions and that i don't have to worry about "fully constraining" my definition.

i'll read through this and see what i come up with.

thanks guys!

Message 7 of 7
steven-g
in reply to: yardstickciv

Does this do it.

I've been away for a while, all that trash coming into the forum kept me away, they are working on it, that was nearly 2 months ago. Just popped back in and lo and behold, still got to sort through the same rubbish. I might look back in in another couple of months.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services